Thread: Taking a break from breakfast! (Gore warning!)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Taking a break from breakfast! (Gore warning!)

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I was looking through my catalog for an image to try out the Point Color in Lightroom, and alighted on this one that hadn't been processed before.

It was also taken from a zodiac last May 2022 in Svalbard. We had spent several hours watching a sleeping bear from a distance. Then close to midnight, he woke up hungry! We thought we had seen the last of him when he dived in under the ice, but he was back in a few minutes with a Monk Seal!

Image shot with Sony A9II, FE200-600 with 1.4X Teleconverter at 766mm. Shutter speed of 1/1000 sec at f/10, ISO800.

Cropped and levelled in Lightroom. Tweaked blacks, whites and shadows. Used Point Colour to reduce the blue in the shadows on the ice. Very impressed with this new capability. Resized and lightly sharpened in PS.

Comments and suggestions much appreciated.

Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, some may find this rather gruesome, but this is REAL life and Polar hunts mostly end up with a zero kill, so pleased you got to see a kill and close by too.

It can be 'Chalk & Cheese' with the weather so having this in good light makes a huge difference. I do like the stance and head slightly cocked to one side, there is just enough light to light the LHS albeit perhaps a slight lift in the shadows??? He looks a good size and well fed so nice to see. The inclusion of the Gulls just adds, they are a pain in the ..... in Katmai with the Grizzly's, but here it helps tell the story.

Perhaps a sliver more at the foot would be good, also, am I to assume the 1.4 bumps up the f-stop? With snow I try to get the texture in the FG, that all comes back to the Histogram and how far you pushed it, as when reviewing the files can look thin and ghostly, great you have capture as much data as possible. I might just try darkening the shadows a fraction , sample of theses shadow with the Pointer.

Not much more to say.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, it was quite harrowing to watch - particularly as the bear literally eats the seal alive! Forty minutes after the original capture, when we were photographing them, the seal was still struggling to escape! I guess for the bear it makes sense to have the body warmth of the live prey.

Yes, the 1.4 does bump up the f-stop, but in this situation, it is negligible. As well as getting the 'action' images, part of the objective was to place the action in the larger environment - so I chose a slightly smaller aperture than I would normally use.

Looking at the image now, I think that it could be a little brighter...

Over time I will post some more images from the trip, if you are interested. As you know, Svalbard is an extremely rewarding photographic environment!

Cheers, Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, it's no more harrowing than in Africa, or even a Sparrow hawk taking a small Blue Tit, the fact they have to eat to survive, but PB as now close to extinction with the habitat diminishing at a rate of knots.

The zoom was the perfect choice as it gave you both wide & narrow options, plenty of choice to fill your boots with.

Looking at the image now, I think that it could be a little brighter...
    Not sure, it might be a mix including WB, or selective whites....?????

Please do, you have sparked a revisit to the vaults!!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gerald,

Great image of this feeding Polar Bear! For me personally not gory as I am used to seeing predators feeding.

Nice pose from the subject, looks as if he is looking around and making sure no other predators are near. Image well exposed with good detail, the presence of the gulls does not detract and like Steve said above, they help tell the story.

Unlike Steve, I have no experience whatsoever with shooting in those conditions but I trust his suggestions will help take this frame to another level. Enjoyed viewing, a lot - thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Gerald. Very dramatic. Every picture tells a story and this one sure does. All looks good here, the trail of blood and the gulls all add. Nothing I would change.

Well done

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good shot indeed, I think this is the first time I have really appreciated the colour in a polar bears eyes.