Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Early signs of the rut, unfortunately no fighting or significant posturing, I will return next week.

OM-1 OLYMPUS M.150-400mm F4.5
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 713.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO: 800
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1600 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, nice looking Stag, love the rack with the grasses and the look to camera for me works here.

Overall a bit tight for my tastes, a bit more space all round I think would help. Not a lover of the black/contrast in the BKG, looks a bit sooty and I hate to say, but a fraction of NR might just help, the lenses I doesn't quite deliver the bokeh. If you have slightly darkened the FG grasses I would reduce it, looks odd.

Good luck for next week.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I tend to agree with your comments, I think I was a little prepossessed in capturing as much detail as possible hence a bit too tight..... yes I did darken the foreground a little too much.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I was a little prepossessed in capturing as much detail as possible hence a bit too tight..
    Jon you don't need to get - 'up close and personal' to get the detail as you know, but with the zoom, I might frame it in camera then just zoom out, ie at 400mm zoom back to 360 or 380 so it allows you room to crop at PP. If you have that focus point on the bridge of his nose, between the eyes, all should be good and at f/5.6 (or 6.3), I guess 7.1-9 in old money, then plenty of detail. As you probably have about 20-30m distance between subject & BKG you should be good for bokeh, but I'm hesitant about how far those lenses compress.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The lens compression is not an issue for me, I just don't dwell on it, I am more interested in the subject so it is of little consequence for me. If the background is there it's because it was - no point worrying about it. OK I won't say it is totally inconsequential because it isn't but the background doesn't have to be totally soft or blurred as far as I am concerned.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful pose from this deer and some nice light too. Colours and tones look great and subject stands out nicely against the background.

Frame a bit tight, especially at the bottom, just not enough space for the virtual legs. Nice DoF, sharpness is there in good measure. I think a tad more NR on the BG would benefit this frame... but of course it's all up to you. As it is - I feel - it makes the frame look rather crowded.

Darkening of the FG sometimes works well but in this case it seems to emphasise the tightness of the frame, would be awesome if you added a tad of canvas.

I like the coat of the deer, a lot, it has a lovely texture and those reds and browns are simply gorgeous.

You must have enjoyed this sighting so much Jon. I sincerely hope next week you get to see and photograph some interactions.

Thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a very regal looking stag, Jon!

Nice rack and looks good with those grasses!

The rut has already finished with the stags I visited in the Netherlands - for some reason they choose to start in early September.

As you have probably noticed, I quite like a tight image, so this works for me!

Thanks for sharing,

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Jon. The grasses on the antlers makes it for me. Nice surroundings, a bit more would look good. I like the detail you captured and the stare. Hope to see more especially the rut.

Will