Thread: Cliff Swallow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cliff Swallow

Home in California for 6 whole weeks! Slowest time of year around here since all the ducks and shorebirds have migrated back to the Arctic, but I was able to squeeze this out of a local colony last week.

My arms nearly fell of getting this shot. This sort of action is when I wish I could afford a newer/lighter lens. 8.5lbs/3.9kg - ouch! - especially with the center of gravity moved out by the EF/RF adaptor.

Background is tidal mudflat. I nailed this bird as it swooped up and into its nest on the underside of the dock.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS on EOS R5
    1/6400 at f/4, ISO 800
    LR CC and Topaz (very light pass - 5 pts of NR - to combat effects of the crop)

Name:  cliff swallow 051223.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  558.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Dorian,

It's a difficult genre, I don't know how many times you have taken your lens down because of fatigue, but the result is excellent. you hit target 12

congratulations

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one, I like the slight titled wings.

So you have many choice Dorian of RF, some still to be released later this year… 400f/2.8, 200-500, 500, or 600, but you will need deep pockets to save your ‘guns’ Dorian.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Nice one, I like the slight titled wings.

So you have many choice Dorian of RF, some still to be released later this year… 400f/2.8, 200-500, 500, or 600, but you will need deep pockets to save your ‘guns’ Dorian.

TFS
    Steve

Sadly, I wouldn't take any of those over my trusty 600/4 II, at least least not at the difference I'd need to spend to acquire any of them. I might be willing to find the big
    bucks for a brand spanking new lens, but nothing Canon is making excites me enough to do it. Where's the 600/4 with the integrated TC? Nikon! Where's the 500/5.6 or
    the 800/6.3? Nikon! Where's the 200-600/6.3? Sony! I just don't understand what Canon is doing these days. Sure they make a 100-500 but 1) it's shorter than the Sony
    2) it's not as fast as the Sony and 3) -- incongruously -- it costs like $700 more than the Sony. And, on top of those disadvantages, it's wonky with the 1.4x TC attached
    since the lens doesn't retract with it attached. I think the Canon bodies are great, but the lens line-up baffles me. I either want a lighter 600 or a 600 with more reach
    (i.e. an int TC), and Canon keeps giving me crap. 200-500 doesn't does excite me as much as a lightweight 500/4 (with or without int TC) would. If I spend more time in
    Africa (which looks likely as my company has me slated to do a bunch of stuff there) the 200-500 might be cool, but it doesn't do much for me on the bird front.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot - good focus and detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, very good by me. Can only imaging the muscle drain flinging that hoss around....

You did great here. The head and leading edge of the wings are super sharp (as sharp as any I've seen tbh) and the even light over the top side presents very well.

Would have been great to get a little more light on the left side of the face but man, I would take this in my files in a heartbeat.

TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian think you did very well under given subject / lens combo .... must have been very exhausting

I do really like the shot and your effort got rewarded .

No nits from my side , just a bravo

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You must need a good masseuse after holding that rig for that long! Really nice results you managed a cool flight angle and very sharp on the head! I know how hard it is to get these guys in flight, so nicely done Dorian!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is so good. I like the top view, and the fact the tail is visible. I did some Tree Swallows last month and got nothing as good as you have here. I go the same muscle drain though ha ha.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely. The BKGR and the detail on the back are very sweet indeed.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.