Thread: Black-fronted Dotterel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-fronted Dotterel

Attached Images Attached Images

My first visit to a new location, after being told that Latham Snipes had been seen there. Unfortunately I didn't see any, but there were a number of Black-fronted Dotterels to keep me busy. Here's just one of the many shots I took. Cheers.

D500/500PF, 1/2000th sec@f7.1, IOS1000, manual mode HH. Processed in ACR, PS and Topaz PAI.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a first for me, all looks pretty good, including composition. I wonder if some of the darkest elements could be lifted a litle, colours look good but I think perhaps just a tad heavy/contrast a tad high (???) my instant reaction that is the profile was Adobe Color - maybe I am wrong?? These points are of course just my personal opinion and you may disagree entirely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm sure that was a dirty-ish area, but the low angle really cleaned things up. I love the faint reddish tint to the shoulder area. Good shorebird image that perhaps needs a degree or two more head turn towards us, but looks appealing overall.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan: Sorry...but I'm totally fine with it as is. I don't use Adobe profiles...normally my choice is either Camera standard or Nikon D500 linear profile as a basis and adjustments from there. I see your point re the contrast, but for me it works.
    Daniel: I have so many more to edit, but yes to the head angle. Cheers.

Update: went back to the same location this morning but no Lathams Snipes, but more Dotterels

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My kinda frame! As Dan said, low angle helped the bird star! Detail on bird is really is great against the softy graded BG. I hope you get a frame with the mentioned head turn! But a really nice effort in this instance.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nicely done Paul. The head turn is in line with the body but maybe the bird was ever so slightly turned away from you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul nicely captured subject with super low angle
    Colors looking good as do the colors , might be pushed a bit in terms of tones ... matter of taste .
    I would personally reduce the contrast in the FG and BG to make it stand out even more .

Very nice work Paul and TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low angle a lot and love the BG colors. I agree a touch more head turn might make it a tad better, but I don't think the bird is pointed away from you from what I am seeing.