Thread: Yellow-billed Oxpecker

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow-billed Oxpecker

Here's another 'grab' shot out of the car window at Kruger. Light was patchy because of shifting rain, and
    this was captured under the additional shade of the overhead branches on which the giraffe was feeding.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS + 1.4x III on EOS R5
    1/1000 at F/5.6, ISO 1600
    Processed in LR CC and Topaz DN

Name:  yellow-billed oxpecker 110222.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  555.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian ... a very nice grab shot .
    Very nice to see the possible feeding of this special species !!!
    Comp and overall presentation is goood , for me personally too much on the yellow side of the white balance .
    Nice details and sharpening works

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Comp and overall presentation is goood , for me personally too much on the yellow side of the white balance .
    Correct.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Dorian ... a very nice grab shot .
    Very nice to see the possible feeding of this special species !!!
    Nice details and sharpening works

TFS Andreas
    I could see that WB comment coming. I looked at the post a few minutes after putting the photo up and thought, '****, that looks yellow'. Easy fix, so thanks for confirming what I suspected. Again, without blues and/or sun, I can never seem to get it right....

Views: 91
Size:  547.4 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian: I didn't realize it was a Giraffe's neck the bird was on until you mentioned it. Overall I like the image very much. The softness of the Giraffe's neck and the bird is a nice interplay, with lovely detail on both. Head angle, background and processing all work for me. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Dorian: I didn't realize it was a Giraffe's neck the bird was on until you mentioned it. Overall I like the image very much. The softness of the Giraffe's neck and the bird is a nice interplay, with lovely detail on both. Head angle, background and processing all work for me. TFS
    It's actually the giraffe's leg! The knobby bit under the bird's vent/tail is the animal's knee.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

oops...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Dorian Anderson;1275362]I could see that WB comment coming. I looked at the post a few minutes after putting the photo up and thought, '****, that looks yellow'. Easy fix, so thanks for confirming what I suspected. Again, without blues and/or sun, I can never seem to get it right....

Views: 91
Size:  547.4 KB[/Q

UOTE]

Looks like you have only reduced the yellows in their intensity ... ??!!!
    Not the way to go , IHMO , if the WB is on the " wrong " side of the spectrum .
    Just for demo purpose my RP and you shoukld see this a staring point for further color manipulation if you like .

All i did was .... used the eyedropper in LR/ACR and clicked in the feet area . Saved the file ...

WDYT ??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can never get the eye dropper to work because I don't understand it. I guess the idea is to place it on something as close to pure white as possible, but it makes my images
    go crazy no matter how I use it. As a result, all of my WB is done by eye. I know I'm effectively guessing, but processing WB has never been properly explained to me. It might
    be time to watch some Youtube videos.

That said, I think your rendering looks weird. Maybe too cold and/or too green. My eyes just aren't good as picking up color casts. I can see that my original post was too yellow,
    but I'm think your repost went way too far the other way. My second post seems to split the difference, but its really hard to see exactly what's going on without having the various
    versions side by side.
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 02-04-2023 at 07:00 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dorian ... the eyedropper is a simple tool .
    Just click on an area in i.e. your image , what you think should be neutral .... NOT WHITE !!!!
    You donīt even have to click , while hovering over certain areas check the RGB numbers under the histogram to see the different numbers and identify potential casts .... i think is a very easy process. Try to get the three numbers as close as possible together ... i.e. 50/50 /50 or 128/128/ 128 ( just examples )
    If you neutralized the cast ( like i did ) .... from that point on you can direct the colors in that direction you like it . What i did is the starting point of color correcting or color grading the image ..... not the final output !!!!

In the end you have to like the output that you have chosen , not what the numbers are saying .... the numbers are there to identify colors that are not obviously there but are " contaminating " certain areas if not the whole image .
    Not sure what you did with your version , but reducing yellow as a single color does not solve the issue .... very simple . As you have yellows in all of your colors .... in this image . That is where the cast is coming from .

Hope you understand what i am trying to say ...

Cheers Andreas

BTW for sure is my image colder .... as i have taken away the yellow cast , but it is not green .
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 02-04-2023 at 08:06 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, really neat image. I also thought it was the Giraffe's neck... Nice behavior shown, nice color pattern, good detail all working together. I like you have a difficult time seeing color casts but I am getting better using the eyedropper and selecting a neutral to set the WB. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Adding cyans or blues to the yellow channel seems to do the trick as well, but there are many ways to skin a cat. I love the bill digging into the fur. Vertical comp a must here. Well done overall.