Thread: Swans, Wolves,Covid

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Swans, Wolves,Covid

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this pair of Trumpeter Swans in Alaska last summer. Had a few other opportunities but passed on them as I had Covid. This pair was in a small slough along the road and even though I was feeling badly it was too tempting to pass on. I thought they would fly off as I approached, but were rather inquisitive.
    As I was taking photos a wolf pack was very close and started howling. I never heard the birds calling as the wolves howled. Looked over my shoulder but never saw the wolves. More worried about bears. Very neat moment and one I will never forget. Covid sucks though.
    Processed with Dpp 4 ,Photoshop don't recall if I used Topaz processed a few months back. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon R3
    600 f4 L
    840 mm
    1/2500
    ISO 3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, great story. I bet that was pretty surreal! My wife and I would love to get back to Alaska and do more photography.

This image has so many awesome pieces. The bright subjects on the dark surround is fantastic.

Exposure looks quite nice to me and I love the dual calling poses. Front subject is nice and sharp.

If you had room, I'd consider cutting some off of the left and leaving some at right to swim into. Also, it looks like the posterior bird is just oof so you could try some selective sharpening to see if you can bring it out a touch more.

Overall, a real dandy and pleasure to view!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Brian and I agree some sharpening could help on the oof swan and a little too tight in the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice low angle with a great dark BG to make the swans stand out. both have a great pose too the hind bird is falling off the DOF a bit, if mine I would sharpen him a bit more.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this image, Kevin. The contrast makes it very memorable, an the open beaks (wolves or not!) make for a very engaging view. Exposure and details are fantastic. If possible, I'd sharpen far bird a bit more as Arash suggests. Bravo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a beauty Kevin....The white on black is excellent..The calling pose adds a lot, as does the reflection....Agree about a slight sharpen on the rear bird...Well done

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... a verx cool image , love the low POV the calling poses and the stark contrast !!!
    Very well done , i can live with the second swan being less sharp .

TFS Andreas