Thread: Great Blue Heron With Armored Catfish

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron With Armored Catfish

Attached Images Attached Images

Here you go Artie, here's a better view of the preyfish {not the same bird and fish as previously posted). I saw the Great Blue Heron capture the fish and fly with it towards me. I focused waiting for the right time to press the shutter. I was so close this is what I captured. I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED, handheld
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 500 Auto WB, image captured at 400mm (600mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Full Frame
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a very neat prey item! Nicely anchored in upper right corner. As a whole I like the image, but that shadow on the heron's neck is unfortunate. Not much you can do about with the light angle, but glad you pressed the shutter button.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The fish really steals the show here! It's a great look at that pray item. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of the image works. You're kinda caught between a headshot and an action shot at this distance. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but I want either the whole bird or just the head and neck; as presented, the OOF/far and shadowed/near wing are really distracting. There's also a lot of empty space at the upper left.
    Last edited by Dorian Anderson; 09-16-2022 at 05:36 PM.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An unusual image Joe and the detail in the fish skin is excellent. Shadows are no big deal for me - they happen they are perfectly natural.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sometimes the details of a photo far overtake the perfections expected here. this is a great example. It'e a well detailed shot, and in Pooley-world its a lovely frame. Not every frame needs the perfect head angle and clean BG - this is one of those times. I like it

Mike