Thread: Sanderling Preening

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sanderling Preening

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Ft. DeSoto County Park in Pinellas County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 500mm PF, camera and lens supported by a Oben carbon fiber monopod with a Wimberly MonoGimbal head
    1/3200 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 720 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 500mm (750mm 35mm Equivalent)
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2022 and Topaz Denoise AI
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice soft light on this guy, but there is something very off in the processing workflow because the bird is very crunchy. The legs show strong halos, feather detail has been erased, and the sand/ground looks like plastic. Not sure where the problem occurred, but it's certainly worth a total revisit to iron it out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe ... sadly I can only agree with Dorians observations . One of those frames of yours where the sharpening is off ... and I am really wondering why this is happening from time to time ??!! And even more I would be interested what is causing the issue ??!!
    Really hope you are seeing it yourself after the comments ... better would be to see it before posting .

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dorian and Andreas, thank you for viewing and critiquing this image. After reading I went back to the image and changed the processing. Here is a repost, please let me know if this better. If so, the reason for the problems with the original is too much processing. It surprising that when working on a image trying to make it perfect one can become blind to what is good and not.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 08-29-2022 at 07:12 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh that was quick ... you do not seem to invest a lot of time for an edit . Looks for sure better ... but which tool caused the ugly artifacts along the edges ??!!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Oh that was quick ... you do not seem to invest a lot of time for an edit . Looks for sure better ... but which tool caused the ugly artifacts along the edges ??!!
    Hi Andreas, it was quick because I deleted all I did to the TIFF and then just sharpened it. Not one tool caused it but a little bit of this and a little bit of that, as I said... too much post processing trying to make what was good better, unfortunately failing.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As Mr Detail aka Steve K is saying keep the workflow simple .... and as I am saying ( most of the times ) stay away from 3rd party plugins . Photoshop does have it all ...

The hummingbird does look so good ..
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 08-29-2022 at 08:57 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe initially I didn't see the problems mentioned. The repost does look better. Overall I love it nice. The second does look so much better with the color cast gone. It just pops more. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As Mr Detail aka Steve K is saying keep the workflow simple .... and as I am saying ( most of the times ) stay away from 3rd party plugins . Photoshop does have it all ...

The hummingbird does look so good ..
    Hi Andreas, yup, Steve is right, he also has me using a high shutter speed for sharper images and let the software (Topaz Denoise AI) take care of the noise. You guys, yourself, Steve, Artie and others, who were photographing when digital began rely on Photoshop for most things. All of you know it well, at one time it was all there was. I only use Photoshop to convert the RAW to a TIFF and to clone, patch and spot remove, everything else I do in Lightroom. I know Lightroom like you know Photoshop. Much of Lightroom is Photoshop based. I'll give you one example. Sharpening in Lightroom. That tool can be configured to work as Unsharp Mask or Deconvoluted Sharpening, also a combination of the two depending where the Detail Slider is set. The Masking Slider in Lightroom sharpening controls where the sharpening will be applied. Jeff Schewe who was instrumental in the development of Lightroom wrote that the Masking Slider would take about twenty steps in Photoshop to accomplish. Anyways, we do things differently but hopefully end up at the same place. Thanks, my friend, hope your shoulder is healing.
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin Hice View Post
    Joe initially I didn't see the problems mentioned. The repost does look better. Overall I love it nice. The second does look so much better with the color cast gone. It just pops more. TFS
    Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Andreas, yup, Steve is right, he also has me using a high shutter speed for sharper images and let the software (Topaz Denoise AI) take care of the noise. You guys, yourself, Steve, Artie and others, who were photographing when digital began rely on Photoshop for most things. All of you know it well, at one time it was all there was. I only use Photoshop to convert the RAW to a TIFF and to clone, patch and spot remove, everything else I do in Lightroom. I know Lightroom like you know Photoshop. Much of Lightroom is Photoshop based. I'll give you one example. Sharpening in Lightroom. That tool can be configured to work as Unsharp Mask or Deconvoluted Sharpening, also a combination of the two depending where the Detail Slider is set. The Masking Slider in Lightroom sharpening controls where the sharpening will be applied. Jeff Schewe who was instrumental in the development of Lightroom wrote that the Masking Slider would take about twenty steps in Photoshop to accomplish. Anyways, we do things differently but hopefully end up at the same place. Thanks, my friend, hope your shoulder is healing.
    Hey Joe thanks for asking my shoulder is making good progress ... very short I can go out shooting albeit maybe only from tripod .
    We all stick to different workflows ... and the output counts , not the workflow . We have to be happy with the tools we are using .... for the best possible output .
    In your case I sometimes do not understand why you are processing great results in terms of detail and sharpness , other times they are somewhat off on that front ... that leaves me puzzled at times . The reason why I come back asking .... I do not want to annoy you with my maybe " stupid " comments .

Cheers Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In your case I sometimes do not understand why you are processing great results in terms of detail and sharpness , other times they are somewhat off on that front ... that leaves me puzzled at times . The reason why I come back asking .... I do not want to annoy you with my maybe " stupid " comments .

Cheers Andreas
    Hey Andreas, I think the reason is 79 year old eyes, and fighting with my glasses somedays. Also about fourteen years ago I woke up with double vision and could not open my right eye, the muscles wouldn't work. I immediately saw my ophthalmologist, he sent me to a neurologist at a Florida university. I was diagnosed with Ocular Myasthenia Gravis, I have to take Prednisone every day to control that. The Prednisone has caused capillary bleeding in my right eye (Central Serous Retinopathy), so I see mostly with my left eye. There are good days and bad days. It sucks to be old but I wouldn't want to be young today. This is why this forum is wonderful, I can get a honest critique of my images and find ways to fix them.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Okidoki .... Joe , sounds like a serious issue !!!
    I should be less critical with your stuff after reading about your issues , sorry for being too strong with my comments !!!

Cheers Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Okidoki .... Joe , sounds like a serious issue !!!
    I should be less critical with your stuff after reading about your issues , sorry for being too strong with my comments !!!

Cheers Andreas
    No, please do not. I want a honest opinion/critique. When Steve was here more regularly through BPN forum or emails he would point out shortcomings and how I could do better. Without that I would not be where I am today. I want to get better, never satisfied. That is how I get in troubled sometimes. Right now, you and Dorian are my best sources.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh thanks Joe ... glad that I can help you out a bit !!!