Thread: American Avocet

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Avocet

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken back in late April about a mile from the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. Eastern Missouri is a good ways out of their normal range.
    I've only run across lone individuals in non breeding plumage previously so I was stoked to find a group of four in breeding colors. I found them mid afternoon and took
    quite a few images. I wasn't particularly happy with the harsh light but I wasn't sure how long they would hang around. I left for several hours and returned closer to sunset,
    although I had to leave a little earlier than I would have liked due to a previous commitment. It was quite windy so the water was pretty choppy. I presume this is some type
    of mating behavior. I ran the raw file through DxO PureRAW and then very light Topaz DeNoise.
    Nikon Z9, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII.....currently patiently waiting for a 800mmF6.3
    f6.3, 1/2000s iso800
    Last edited by Jack Backs; 06-25-2022 at 11:00 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack, a nice image; bird is sharp as is the eye, and despite the wind the water doesnt appear too choppy. While the light may have been a bit harsh it doesn't blow out the bird. Not crazy about the background but not much you can do there as you have the sand and then the grassy field; I kind of like to isolate the shorebirds and water birds either in the water or on the sand as much as possible but just a personal preference. Nicely captured.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and the colours, the pose is super. A very attractive image.

(I cannot understand why you felt the need for Topaz after DxO PureRaw - especially at ISO 800???)

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like everything about this Jack. Great pose. Colour matched . Interested in the answer to Jonathons question about the Tapaz DeNoise .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even at iso800 DxO leaves a little noise in the background. I use DxO PureRaw primarily because it seems to do a better job of removing noise from feather/hair detail whereas DeNoiseAI will sometimes actually sharpen the noise.
    I set DeNoise to 5/5 very light....probably not necessary. I turn off DxO's global settings.
    Last edited by Jack Backs; 06-26-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack:

The pose and colors make it for me. Made me smile when I opened it.

The BG doesn't bother me . It is helped by the color harmony and its softness.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack, nice image of this avocet. You captured a wonderful pose, full extension of the wings and the bill almost touching the water. I am okay with the background. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Jack, got the head and the wings just about perfect. I'd personally just lower the brightest highlights a little, but otherwise spot on

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice......Good POV....the detail on the bird is lovely and I really like the position of the bill....Beautiful colours throughout and very pleasing to the eye....

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack, always wanted this frame but only ended up with clipped wing tips. You achieve it masterfully and with gorgeous colors to boot!

Fantastic low vantage and a beautiful angle to the sun. Love that the head descended below the shoreline.

All is good on the processing front, really nice, though you could consider a touch more selective sharpening around the eye if you like.

Perhaps just a touch of CW rotation also.

FWIW, the female is typically the one posing with the head close to water level before mating. She does have a more curved beak as I recall and believe this is a male (Artie can verify). This pose is most typically just a wing stretch as I've seen it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh man, this is super sweet! Perfect peak-pose. Low angle is always a charm. Background looks great to me. Yes, perhaps a touch more details to extract in the brightest whites, but this image has a high "wow factor" from me!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I completely agree with Daniel above, a beauty of a frame with so much to look at - just love those background colours! Perfect framing too.

Besides the need for a tad more detail in the whites I think it's pretty perfect... what an enjoyable image, Jack - very well done !!!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea