Thread: Guillemots

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Guillemots

Attached Images Attached Images

You'll not really get a clean shot of just one bird here on route to Staple's island, these birds are so huddled up, as the tide just lashes up against the face wall. Yes, the viewers eyes don't quite know where to look, but that's my point I wish to convey, just sheer chaos... Shot from a rolling boat.

Steve

Subject: Guillemots (Uria aalge)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X MK2
    Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/9 ISO1250 EV +0.33
    Original format: Landsascpe, slight crop from the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRC 9.4 & PS2020
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a hint of chocolate in the dark plumage and super detail in the white. From my POV no need to apologise for the surroundings I am becoming more and more keen on seeing wildlife in natural circumstances. The scene is busy but you have very clearly depicted the guillemots at the front.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Jon, you were there too.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes it's busy, but you did a great job in separating the front birds Steve. I like the interactions also.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

STEVE:

Excellent story telling image. I can almost smell the guano. Good choice on f/stop.

Purely a small thought (aren't they all!): I might try a version with the far left bird half way up the left side, removed. I think it would help keep your viewer within the frame so to speak, to not have the white breast right on the frame edge. Tiny tweak for sure.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kurt.

BTW and I know it's a daft question, but you are the Kurt who was a member many years ago and on another Forum, with 'shades'..????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Purely a small thought (aren't they all!): I might try a version with the far left bird half way up the left side, removed. I think it would help keep your viewer within the frame so to speak, to not have the white breast right on the frame edge. Tiny tweak for sure.
    Thanks Randy, I know what you mean, always hard when you get a comp like this and truncate a body or head. I thought having more of the body than less I could have got away with it, but.... I just blew in some colour, always had when you have a 'ghosting' subject as you don't want hard edges, but here you go.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

I do prefer the repost.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat frame. Most of the bird's have nice head angles.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost looks great.
    The best part of this image is the fact that you have been able to show the hint of chocolate brown in the bird's plumage. Very hard to do.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... lovely looking " bird chaos" , good to see something different .
    IQ as expected ... good solid job on that front . Cool tonal range with truck loads of detail from light to dark .... the flat light really helped on that front .
    Personally I do not mind about the left side ... matter of taste .
    Interesting to see that folks can create stunning sharpness or noise levels without Topaz ..... oh well ....

Overall a cool frame and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The best part of this image is the fact that you have been able to show the hint of chocolate brown in the bird's plumage. Very hard to do.
    Thank you Gail.

nteresting to see that folks can create stunning sharpness or noise levels without Topaz ..... oh well
    The product is a good product when used correctly Andreas, but like you, I'm somewhat puzzled why folk apply this or any other NR software to images below ISO2000, even worse, below 1000!!!! I can only assume either the image wasn't correctly exposed at time of capture, or the file is indeed noisy, but is it grain or colour???? IMHO why apply an additional layer of adjustment when the image really does not require it????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post

The product is a good product when used correctly Andreas?
    Well personally I do not think it is a good product .... even if I do zero out the NR the product does apply some of it . But it is ok .... I do not have to use it if I do not like it .