Thread: Atlantic Puffin: Feathering His Nest

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Atlantic Puffin: Feathering His Nest

Attached Images Attached Images

I had forgotten how many Puffin images I still had in my files. I guess I need to do some more weeding. For this Challenge I decided to go with something a bit different. Getting this was a bit dicey, hanging out over the cliff at Latrabjarg to get a look at the Puffin at his burrow. From 2016. Removed some whitewash.

D7200, 80-400VR @ 165mm, ISO 2000, 1/320s @ f/9. (not sure why I used these settings)
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 04-25-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill,
    I love the feather in the mouth and the daisies in the LUC.
    I think you have framed the puffin very well.
    It looks like it was a typical dark day in Iceland. You have good detail in most of the blacks but I think you could get a bit more out of the blacks near the beak.
    Maybe increase the exposure overall by 1/4 stop and working a bit on the blacks with detail extractor?
    Very nice frame showing puffin behavior to a "T",
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Bill"

Def. a different point of view for the puffin. Glad you survived the event!

I like Gail's idea about the blacks. I took a slightly different tack, but hopefully I am sailing in the right direction.

Luminosity mask on dark tones, combined that with screen mode to brighten things in the darks a bit, and then mild increase in the contrast of the dark tones and a bit into the mid tones.

I thought it looked a bit less murky, added some detail in the darker areas, like the head and the nest cavity.

There are a dozen ways plus to tweak this, but this combo was quick and hopefully effective. It would be easy to go a bit brighter still, but didn't want to make it look like a bright sunny day.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you both for the suggestions. Randy, I do like what your intervention has done with the head and nest cavity. I'll experiment with some of those suggestions. Some time back, I bought a new laptop and in the process I lost my Detail Extractor. I might try to get the new version.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Super behavioral action captured Bill, good suggestions above and I'm glad the daisies added the extra wow!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't normally like steep down angles images, but this one works for me. I like the feather and the daises also.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to see the daises in the frame. The feather in the bill is quite nice as well. I like the framing.