Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park 12/1/20 at 8:12AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM
    ISO 6400
    f5.0
    1/500sec

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John a nice buck in a very pleasing wintery setting .
    I do like the snow on the upper body and head . Crop is about right to me .
    If this was mine I might go a bit lighter or less heavy in the contrast from mid tones to the blacks .
    On the color front ... well a matter of taste , I think you can go slightly cooler .

TFS Andreas

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If this was mine I might go a bit lighter or less heavy in the contrast from mid tones to the blacks .
    The same issues as previous noted in my feedback John and echoed by Andreas.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve .... I would say it is a matter of taste how to see the tonality of an image . John , me & others might see things differently at times . Fully understand your view of this " contrast issue " .... and I do agree sometimes and sometimes not depending on individual images that I am looking at . But there is for sure a " tendency " to push the contrast/ blacks specially in the avian sector of this forum ... as you know . Very difficult to say at times .

I have lately discovered an " issue " with heavy blacks/contrast of posted images , when I look at them in the browser ( your fox is one of those ) .... taking them into PS the issue is gone . Safari is really bad , Firefox slightly better ..... on my machine .

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like contrast(obviously). I still believe post processing is subjective. If you want to clip the blacks and whites, go ahead and clip them. If you want to show detail in the brightest highlights and the darkest shadows go ahead. I don't think it really matters anyway most people are looking at photos on their phones.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like contrast(obviously). I still believe post processing is subjective. If you want to clip the blacks and whites, go ahead and clip them. If you want to show detail in the brightest highlights and the darkest shadows go ahead. I don't think it really matters anyway most people are looking at photos on their phones.
    Not sure how this applies to images posted on a Critique Forum John, as most folk are looking to improve both the photography side and how best to present their images they have captured, and if the feedback in part highlights the above then for you it's not helpful? Therefore, may I suggest when you write the intro, can you please be specific in what you are looking for in terms of any replies and helpful feedback, in that way folk can hone the feedback.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition, I am I have to admit a little biased as I noticed some of the comments previously (I tried to ignore them but some parts did become apparent as I flicked down the page as it were).
    I feel the image is perhaps a little yellow / warm and I would be inclined to lift the exposure on the buck a little.

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image ,love the snow and agree the contrast seem to be heavy. Love how the scent gland shows on the hind leg probably still in the rut. TFS

13. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post