Thread: A Savannah Sparrow Singing in the Morning

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Savannah Sparrow Singing in the Morning

Name:  Sparrow 2 - For Forum.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  553.5 KB

Another photo from my morning at Boundary Bay, BC. I did a bit more post-processing on this one. I tried to make the bird pop a bit more and to avoid having too flat of an image. Only thing I removed from the image was an annoying stick in the corner. I also tried to do a bit of sharpening on the bird and some noise reduction on the background, so I'd appreciate feedback on how well that turned out.

Taken with a Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6
    Taken at ISO 1250, 500mm, f/5.6, 1/3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the calling pose, nice perch too. the image is quite noisy and soft. The noise quite significant on the bird itself and with too much contrast plus blown highlights it holds the image back. Unless the raw was soft, severely under exposed or heavily cropped it should not look like this. I have a D500 too and it I have also shot in boundary bay (one of my fav places for SEO's). The 200-500 is not a very sharp lens, I had one for a few months, but again it is not this bad...

I just finished writing a review for the D500, I have lots of Nikon material on my blog that might help you figure out the image quality issues you are having. first step is to figure out if it is from RAW itslef or from processing

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blo...-field-review/

best
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 07-06-2020 at 04:08 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, agree with Arash's summing up, but having seen a raw from you, I think a lot stems from the original capture again.

Just a couple of pointers:
    - Get a better WB, the image carries too much green, going slightly warmer on the Temp and going more to the right on the Tint will help, however here I'm try to correct any additional changes you initially made
    - Ease on the blacks & Contrast to avoid a contrasty look
    - Reduce the Blue in the chest plumage
    - Add some noise reduction, still not ideal, so again, I feel it comes back to the original capture.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hate critiquing after Arash and Steve as they have covered the big issues well.
    The positives are as follows- great BG colors, lovely perch and pose and good choice of composition.
    It looks to me like you had to raise the exposure a lot and this has resulted in noise and contrast.
    I love, love Boundary Bay. Great spot to shoot!
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love, love Boundary Bay. Great spot to shoot!
    Gail, 'was', it's absolutely pants now, nothing was moving when I was there in Feb/March and I've not seen any Snowy Owls for years and SEO's few and far between, Harriers a possibility sadly.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. The perch is very interesting and different. Nice calling pose and view of this sparrow. The greens look nice as well.