Thread: avocets

Hillebrand Breuker

Default avocets

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image some time ago on the Dutch isle Texel. Texel is great for birdwatching and photography. During springtime there is good population of avocets which can be photographed quite well.

20D, 500/4 +1.4tc, iso 100, f.6, 1/800s, manual exposure

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good job on the whites - they are on the bright side, but not blown. The black heads are quite dark, not sure anything else but fill-flash could have helped that without blowing those whites. Super pose, very enjoyable photograph to look at.
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 01-09-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll echo Dan's comments and suggestion. This is a great behavioural image. I like how the male's feet are clinging onto the back of the female.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The interaction and sharpness are excellent. Looks like you nailed the exposure too.

David Hemmings

Excellent behavior image, love the feet on the male:)

Maxis Gamez

Very nice image and behavior. I like the pose and wings. You also did well with the exposure controlling the whites against a some what dark BG. Good work!

Axel Hildebrandt

Great image of this moment. I like his feet and wing position. The whites are definitely not overexposed but I would be tempted to tone them down a bit more anyways.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice behaviour shot. I would be tempted to try s/h on the blacks to maybe open that up a bit. Thanx for sharing.

Linda Robbins

A wonderful behavior shot. The beauty of this image to me are in the details.....both birds' head angles are perfect; the male's open beak and the female's upcurved beak end just protruding from the water; the male's feet both clearly visible; both birds' eye highlights; the nice wing position. Very lovely as is, but I might try a touch of shadow/highlight to tone down the whites very slightly, and to open a bit more detail on the dark heads and the shadow on the breast of the male. I really like this image.

Linda

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa

I love the interaction and the timing!!
    At my monitor the upper birds wing is a bit overexposed, but I guess this varies from one to one.
    I would also crop a bit from the top side.

Greetings for the wonderful image Hillebrand ;)