Thread: 66% Crop

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 66% Crop

Attached Images Attached Images

Black-bellied Whistling Duck head and neck portrait plumage

This image was created on 23 JUNE 2020 at Indian Lake Estates. Working from my SUV, I used the Induro GIT 204/FlexShooter Mini-mounted Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens, the Sony FE 2.0x Teleconverter, and the 61-MP Monster, the Sony Alpha a7R IV Mirrorless Digital camera body. ISO: 800. Exposure determined by Zebras with exposure compensation on the rear wheel: 1/800 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. AWB at 72am on a somehat cloudy morning. Tracking Flexible Spot (S) AF-C.

For a great Down-the-lens-barrel AF tip for all systemes, to see the original, to learn about the crop, and to learn a bit about RawDigger, see the On RawDigger. Large SONY a7r iv Crops. A Great Down-the-Lens Barrel AF Tip for All Systems blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and apprecaited.

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 07-02-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice headshot, looking down the barrel. it is very sharp as presented in fact I'd sharpen a bit less what is the $66 crap?

I programmed 3 on my A9 to switch from "human eye" to "animal eye" saw it worked well for duck and goose head shots. just point and shoot pretty much....
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the way this beauty fills the frame. Sharp, sharp, sharp with killer BG. Agree just a tad over sharpened. Or perhaps it's the bright sun and water making it look so. TFS

ps
    That face, eyes and beak...

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super fun look at this guy! Great color and exposure. Direct stare is cool.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice portrait with this beautiful head-on pose. Love the colors of the beak, the background and the comp.
    I also find the shot a bit over-sharpened and I think the light angle could be a bit better.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    nice headshot, looking down the barrel. it is very sharp as presented in fact I'd sharpen a bit less what is the $66 crap?

I programmed 3 on my A9 to switch from "human eye" to "animal eye" saw it worked well for duck and goose head shots. just point and shoot pretty much....
    Thanks. 66$ was a typo. Should have been 66% :). Fixed it.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

On the over-sharpening ... I think that the SONY stuff is simply too sharp out of the camera at 1200mm :)

I sharpen my 800 wide JPEGs for the blog with Unsharp Mask at 80/.3/0. For the larger BPN JPEG here I went to 100 or 120 at .3/0. I will cut back a bit on that (though I am not seeing it :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent frame Artie. Up close and personal with a species I've not ever seen.

TFS!

13. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie. The A7r4 sure makes sweet files it you don't push it too hard. This is no exception. The colors look great, also the Bill color. The sharpening looks good to my eye, but i do see how other could think it is over sharpened.
    Robert Kimbrell

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A bang on head portrait. Looks super sharp. Background is solid as well. I was confused about the dollars as well.

17. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, all's been said on the positive so I will not repeat. I go back and forth regarding over sharpening or if the A7R IV is just showing more resolution of fine details not normally seen. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

19. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post