Thank You Posts

Default Red Kites

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2
    f/5.6
    1/1600
    ISO 1600

I had another trip to the Red Kites last week, where I managed to capture this one. First time I have ever captured 2 birds flying with a similar pose. This is the first of ten frames I managed, before the birds changed direction.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice dinamic coposition e details. Coild be possible have more blur to cancel the fence
    ..but it is nice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa! Awesome you caught both with that sweet dorsal view. Both birds look nice and sharp as well. Are these male and female? The lead bird looks darker than the rear bird.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome example of opportunity meeting preparation. Love the perfect top side bank near the ground as well as the BG (fence posts and all). TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a realy pretty moment!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the double-banking poses. Both sharp, which is a great bonus. BG is a touch busy, but still on the OK side. I'd personally remove the 3 oof highlights between the two individuals for a cleaner finish in that area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer frame, Will, I think you could work on the BG, easily make it better in seconds.
    Use the healing brush tool, smooth out all those vertical lines.
    Not sure a lot of people realize how hard to get these shots are....
    Dan Kearl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, pretty neat capture with both banking. I do feel you are being conservative with both SS & ISO, take advantage of the MK2 and you will have more keepers.

Overall the image is carrying too much magenta within the WB, you need to get to grips with this, then you can apply your adjustments within whatever Colour management you use.

The attached is where you have an even playing field in terms of 'Colour balance', (phrase, not adjustment), your call where you then take it, but everything is a lot cleaner Will.

TFS
    Steve

I assume this is more local rather than at the farm at D?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well caught Will, I suspect this would do well in club competition, it's not too often you see two well focused like this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suspect this would do well in club competition
    But then you have to print it Jon and that's when the 'fun' really starts and will show you just how good the file & your processing actually is, as per RPS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys...appreciated

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Whoa! Awesome you caught both with that sweet dorsal view. Both birds look nice and sharp as well. Are these male and female? The lead bird looks darker than the rear bird.
    Hi John the front bird is an adult and the other is a juve.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful frame, Will. Shows their amazing aerobatics. Great HA's and sharp as a tack, both birds. Steve's RP helps the color balance, IMO. Yes, I'd be tempted to smooth the fence posts, esp. between the two birds. Congratulations on being there and having the skill to get the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Will, pretty neat capture with both banking. I do feel you are being conservative with both SS & ISO, take advantage of the MK2 and you will have more keepers.

Overall the image is carrying too much magenta within the WB, you need to get to grips with this, then you can apply your adjustments within whatever Colour management you use.

The attached is where you have an even playing field in terms of 'Colour balance', (phrase, not adjustment), your call where you then take it, but everything is a lot cleaner Will.

TFS
    Steve

I assume this is more local rather than at the farm at D?
    Thanks for that Steve...I didn't realise there was so much magenta in the image. I have 10 frames of the birds with different BG's, I'll keep the WB in mind for the next one. I did ETTR and was happy that the images are 'clean'.

This was at the farm, its a 2 hour drive from where I live. Argahty is only 30 mins away, but the farm is so much better....apart from the light. It's good on a dull day, but on a bright day lights comes from the left at 2pm when they feed them.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Steve...I didn't realise there was so much magenta in the image.
    Will, without seeing the Raw it's hard to know where it has come from, either within the capture, or from your PP. I probably see colour in a totally different way as Jon puts it because of my background, the is why I choose to balance all my images first, before anything else and so I know there isn't a colour shift or they have any biases. If the light changes, colour will change too, hence treating each image on i's own merits, batch process can work, you just have to review before starting.

It's good on a dull day, but on a bright day lights comes from the left at 2pm when they feed them.
    Yes light currently isn't great, albeit interesting in the morning around 6.45am...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Wonderful frame, Will. Shows their amazing aerobatics. Great HA's and sharp as a tack, both birds. Steve's RP helps the color balance, IMO. Yes, I'd be tempted to smooth the fence posts, esp. between the two birds. Congratulations on being there and having the skill to get the image.
    Thanks Bill...I have a few frames, some without the fence. I did think about removing the wooden poles, but decided against it, but yes, looking at it now, it would be better to either tone down or remove the posts between the birds.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Will, without seeing the Raw it's hard to know where it has come from, either within the capture, or from your PP. I probably see colour in a totally different way as Jon puts it because of my background, the is why I choose to balance all my images first, before anything else and so I know there isn't a colour shift or they have any biases. If the light changes, colour will change too, hence treating each image on i's own merits, batch process can work, you just have to review before starting.

Yes light currently isn't great, albeit interesting in the morning around 6.45am...
    The magenta is on the RAW file...Everyone, apart from the ones with sky in the BG. Must have been the light that day

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The magenta is on the RAW file...Everyone, apart from the ones with sky in the BG. Must have been the light that day
    So it jut comes down to colour correcting the file, hence why all digital files need to be manipulated.

decided against it, but yes, looking at it now, it would be better to either tone down or remove the posts between the birds.
    Very easy to do Will should you choose to do so, just choose the correct method, but it simply just comes down to ethics and how far you are happy to change it, but it does look better.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's such a good image that what Steve has done makes it hang on the wall. Fence posts gone as well does the job .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey Will, double thumbs up, this is fab!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Steve, Ian and Ann....stay SAFE

Will