Thread: Not the squabble I was waiting for...

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Not the squabble I was waiting for...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

Here is my favourite lioness trying to prevent her sister from touching her warthog kill Bear in mind, she has five hungry cubs waiting to eat as well.

Original format was landscape - I expected the two lionesses to interact and put up quite a show. But my girl decided to grab the warthog and jump forward instead, oh well...

Consequently a large crop during PP (about 50%) to remove some dead space and also one cub ( only partially included in the frame) who suddenly entered the scene.

Notice the sister behind the kill as she waits for things to calm down. Eventually she was allowed to eat as well but the situation remained tense for a while, must say one hour later everyone was happy to share

Nikon D850
    Nikon 200-400mm F4 @ 240mm
    ISO 1000
    F8
    1/2000s

Not entirely happy with composition here but had no choice. I also think the massive crop affected the IQ to some extent. Well, you be the judge...

And yes there are other issues with this image, like the tall grasses in the FG, and BG not ideal. Not quite the 'clean' image I would like to have but such is nature. Of course I like the pose and expression very much as well as eye contact and that swishy tail - she's gorgeous, isn't she?

Feel free to comment and RP or make suggestions, I always appreciate your input.

Have a great rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea