Thread: Leaving the Nest

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leaving the Nest

Attached Images Attached Images

Northern Fulmar flying past the face of the cliff where I was photographing Northern Gannets, on the Langanes Peninsula, Iceland in May. Those who like their birds against nice simple backgrounds may not care for it, but I was attracted to the lovely patterns on the rocky cliff.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 600cc, ISO 500, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual. HH
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 09-30-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill:

The bird is excellent, sharp, well exposed, nice DOF. Like the positioning in the frame. I do like the concept of the interesting background, but I do find it competes with the bird for our attention. For me, the perfect balance is when the eye is immediately drawn to the subject, but then scans the rest of the image to take in the details there. Perhaps tweaking the saturation of the yellow in the background a bit would soften the impact, without eliminating the benefits. If you had a frame where the bird was on the portion of the background without the yellow, perhaps it would resist the drawing of the eye off the subject a bit better?

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird stands out nicely against those rocks. Really like the pattern of the lichens. I like this not something you see everyday.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this entire composition. I keep moving from the beautiful top side feather patterns to the rock/grass/lichen patterns and back... You definitely got what you were going for in my book. Congrats and TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The setting is wonderful - particularly the lichens - but I agree with Randy that it tends to overpower the subject, even with perfect exposure and details.
    Had the bird been looking directly at you that would have helped strengthen it's presence in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with John on this one. I really like the whole composition...the BG, in my view, does not compete with the bird, but enhances it. Looking down somewhat allows us to see the wing detail so well. This is a natural environment, and for me works so well here. There are plenty of images of birds against a plain BG, and so it's nice to see something a little different. Exposure looks spot on. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys. For me, this was as much about the setting and composition of the lichen as it was about the bird. But Randy, you make a good point. I don't have a frame where the bird is well framed by, but independent of, the lichen -- except for this repost taken several frames before the OP. But of course the presence of the second bird makes this one an entirely different image, and draws the eye away from the primary bird even more than the lichen in the OP. (Clone out the second bird??)

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Prefer the original, Bill. Not only the lichen adds nicely, but you managed to get a nest in the cliff. Beautiful defused light, and excellent detail.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill:

Always fun to see the different takes on an image. Just for fun, I downloaded it and desaturated the lichens by about 15 points in LR. To my eye, it moved the bird more forward, more prominent, but personal taste for sure.
    I like the second image a lot, as it gives a sense of the colony. Too bad the flying birds shadow falls on the roosting one. I know, picky, picky, picky!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy. I'll give the desat a try.