Thread: Greater Prairie Chicken

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Prairie Chicken

Attached Images Attached Images

My good buddy Glenn and I decided to make a trip this season to eastern Colorado to look for lekking Greater Prairie Chickens. We were fortunate to get some good tips from some fellow BPNers and wound up in a great spot to shoot the breeding rituals of these beautiful grouse of the open plains.
    I have been hunting these guys in the winter with my falcons since the mid 80s in Nebraska but I had never been to a lek. A lek is the term for an open piece of land that grouse use to court females and to spar with the other males for the right to breed. It was awesome and we got lots of great frames from portraits to flight shots.
    This is one of my favorites as they are very difficult to catch in flight. Not only was I was fortunate enough to catch one in flight, I was able to get a few frames with some nice green fields in the BG. Hope you like him.

D5---600mm---f5.6---ss1/3200th---ISO800---Handheld from car@4:45pm---30% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it

David
    Last edited by David Salem; 07-17-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com