Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: D850 and 500mmPF

  1. #1
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mansfield Center, CT
    Posts
    2,448
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default D850 and 500mmPF

    Attached Images Attached Images
     
    How liberating to walk, climb, and be free to move about with this gear. Thank you!!! This was my first shoot with all my new Nikon gear and I'm gaining slowly on the learning curve. No fish, blah BG, but i love the pose.

    D 850
    500mmPF
    ISO 1600
    7.1
    1/3200

  2. #2
    BPN Member dankearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    7,109
    Threads
    1,032
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    It is a great pose! Raptor like, very nice.
    Excellent detail. Glad you like the new gear.
    Dan Kearl

  3. #3
    Super Moderator arash_hazeghi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, California, United States
    Posts
    16,615
    Threads
    1,122
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    this one has killer pose and is sharp where it matters, the whites look a bit dark to my eye and the top of the bird/wings show quite a bit of noise on my screen, did you lift the exposure in post?
    New! Nikon Capture One Pro Guide
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/Guides/


    ------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

  4. #4
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mansfield Center, CT
    Posts
    2,448
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    this one has killer pose and is sharp where it matters, the whites look a bit dark to my eye and the top of the bird/wings show quite a bit of noise on my screen, did you lift the exposure in post?
    Hi Arash, thank you. No i did not lift exposure . In Iceland minimum iso is 1600 (more like 2000-2500) for flight and thats dof 5.6 which i really wanted to be at 7.1-8. So I am struggling with noise. I have not considered Capture 1 bc I am apprehensive about learning a new program. Im using neat image but it is not removing all the noise and it is visible...
    Last edited by annmpacheco; 07-17-2019 at 07:21 AM.

  5. #5
    BPN Member gail bisson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    11,251
    Threads
    800
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Great wing position.
    Tack sharp, great eye contact.
    I would run a touch on NR on the puffin and raise the exposure by 1/3 of a stop.
    Good one girl!
    Gail

  6. #6
    BPN Member Bill Dix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    10,978
    Threads
    1,651
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Wonderful flight pose and comp. I know Puffins' faces have a sooty look, but even if accurate this feels as if a slight lifting of the off-whites could be in order. Oh, and congratulations on the new gear. The 500PF is a miracle.

  7. #7
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    12,491
    Threads
    1,867
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Looks great Ann, have you created noise profiles for your current equipment? I make them for each camera I use and usually they come to 80%-95% Quality/Match when launched.

  8. #8
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mansfield Center, CT
    Posts
    2,448
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Looks great Ann, have you created noise profiles for your current equipment? I make them for each camera I use and usually they come to 80%-95% Quality/Match when launched.
    yikes nooooo which software do i create noise profiles?

  9. #9
    BPN Member William Dickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    5,738
    Threads
    809
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Looking good Ann...Love, love the flight pose. Yes to it being a little brighter, the detail on the blacks look real good, and would look even better with slight NR.

    Will

  10. #10
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wirral UK
    Posts
    12,491
    Threads
    1,867
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    yikes nooooo which software do i create noise profiles?
    it's in Neat Image look under Tools profiling with Calibration Target. Essentially display the target on screen and photograph it at different ISO and save the profile then you can use Auto Profile - easy peasy - honest.

  11. #11
    Avian Moderator David Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    6,613
    Threads
    272
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    Great pose and another killer frame Ann. Yes a bit noisier then the others but still not to bad. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

  12. #12
    BPN Limited Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    231
    Threads
    43
    Thank You Posts

    Default

    A very nice dynamic pose. I do see some of the issues that others have discussed. As with any new equipment, there is a learning curve and I'm sure you know that. I am seeing more people using Capture One but like yourself I am reluctant to learn new software. With respect to noise reduction I use DxO photolab with its prime denoising engine which analyzes the whole image and then responds with the appropriate algorithm for noise reduction. This is quite intuitive and I have not seen anything that does a better job in noise reduction for Nikon and Sony. I use it in combination with Topaz AI clear which gives me the best results. Yes more software but once again pretty intuitive. Trial versions are available for 30 days.

  13. #13
    BPN Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mansfield Center, CT
    Posts
    2,448
    Threads
    273
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moe Richard View Post
    A very nice dynamic pose. I do see some of the issues that others have discussed. As with any new equipment, there is a learning curve and I'm sure you know that. I am seeing more people using Capture One but like yourself I am reluctant to learn new software. With respect to noise reduction I use DxO photolab with its prime denoising engine which analyzes the whole image and then responds with the appropriate algorithm for noise reduction. This is quite intuitive and I have not seen anything that does a better job in noise reduction for Nikon and Sony. I use it in combination with Topaz AI clear which gives me the best results. Yes more software but once again pretty intuitive. Trial versions are available for 30 days.
    Thanks for your suggestions Moe. I had been using Canon's DPP (really liked the luminance and chrominance formulas) and Neat Image... So now w my Nikon gear using Neat Image alone is not taking care of business. I'll check out the links, thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Web Analytics