Thread: Yodeling in the fog - common loon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yodeling in the fog - common loon

Attached Images Attached Images

This fellow was captured last week on a cold and foggy morning. Another loon was flying overhead, which usually gets a pretty impressive response from the resident male. He was too close to me, this is essentially full frame, just leveled.

D4 600mm VR. f/4.5. ISO 800. 1/1250s. Taken sitting on the bottom of my little boat.

Post: leveled, cleaned up a few spots in background, brightened the eye just a bit.

I know this is a bit different from my usual loon post, but I like to try for something different at times.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 06-11-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Whoaaa I really like this Randy, the breath is mesmerizing as it dissolves into the fog. POV Rocks! Question: the whites have the color cast of the water etc, ... is it a preference thing to leave as is or? I am always trying to gain a better understanding and actually detect a cast as well. And the drop of water is also icing on the cake. Keep em coming.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ann: Thanks for your input. Because of the fog, the cast didn't seem to bother me much, but I did run a touch up with most of it removed. Preference?

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This unique view totally works for me. Love the fog, drop coming off bill, breath and of coarse the view of that eye. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Ann: Thanks for your input. Because of the fog, the cast didn't seem to bother me much, but I did run a touch up with most of it removed. Preference?

Randy
    Thanks Randy, I think I see a slight less ? bluish cast on the whites... Still learning and trying adjustments so thanks for doing this so i can compare. I love the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Image. Everything works really well.

Removing the bluish cast will be personal taste I guess. I would remove the same.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the fog and the breath of the loon. The tongue is great as well. Low angle is nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love mood shots like this, back light and all! Interesting problem posed by Ann. I don't know the bird so wondered what the problem might be, but looking it up I found that what I saw as light turquoise patches are actually white. This look like blue sky/shade effect. So I had a go at bringing them back to white. I think it spoils the mood a bit. Also took out a couple of white vertical streaks in the reflection. Hope you don't mind Randy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin:

Nice job neutralizing the whites. Always a balance I guess, of mood versus accuracy! The vertical streak in the water was from a drop of water on the top of the bird, thought it rather funny, but it is 'cleaner' without!

Thanks

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Randy, I too would look at the colours, I think you have a particularly interesting and different image here. I would also investigate the bird's exhaled breath tweaking it with Dehaze and Clarity (try 3 and 35 respectively as a starter), it really enhances the mood.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent....I really like this Randy. Very atmospheric. I love the pose. I like the OP. Very nice work, well done. No nits here.

Will