Thread: Crandon Gardens

Michael Pancier

Default Crandon Gardens

Attached Images Attached Images

Fab's IR shot prompted me to go out to Crandon this afternoon to take some IR shots.

I loved this scene and had to shoot it as a pano.

IR 20d + 10-22 @ f/9
    @ 10mm
    1/50
    ISO 200

manual mode

images (5) merged using CS 3 photomerge.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good Stuff Mike! I may have lightened it a touch in the water but that's just me.
    I do love this sky and tree's though. Super image.

Sharna

Robert Amoruso

Michael,

Definitely a good IR subject. I especially like the composition. The "V" effect of the pond and trees draw the eye right into the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent job Mike. Like the reflections in lake. Well done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Having never tried IR photography, I simply don't know the answer to this question, but at the risk of sounding like Roman, your image makes me wonder if a graduated density filter wouldn't improve an image like this to make the reflections pop a little more?

I agree with your composition and your decision to end the bottom edge where you did.

Cheers,
    David

Michael Pancier

Quote Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
    Having never tried IR photography, I simply don't know the answer to this question, but at the risk of sounding like Roman, your image makes me wonder if a graduated density filter wouldn't improve an image like this to make the reflections pop a little more?

I agree with your composition and your decision to end the bottom edge where you did.

Cheers,
    David
    I'm sure a nd grad would work. Haven't tried id. I sometimes use a polarizer but did not use one here on the superwide.. the key to IR is getting a base exposure which varies camera to camera. I find having to set my camera in manual mode to between + 1 1/2 and 2 stop to get a decent histogram. I typically do add a nd grad using Nik Tools if needed.

if I had less haze and more blue sky would be easier. we had a lot of haze here in the last couple of days which diffused the light eliminating the harsh contrast you actually want for an IR image.

Maxis Gamez

Fantastic Michael!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wierd but I like it a lot. Might have gone a bit wider on the left.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.