Thread: Reducing highlights ,white values. Photoshop

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reducing highlights ,white values. Photoshop

I have a hard time getting my white values down or bright areas with out leaving an artifact or unnatural feather detail What are the best methods to reduce those values in a bright area in photoshop. Also the easiest amount of work if possible.I use Dpp.4 to start with.
    I try and get exposure as close as possible but still have hot areas.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are a lot of ways to reduce whites but there is always a price to pay! If the whites are truly blown then there is nothing you can do except clone in the area with similar feathers that are properly exposed.
    In photoshop, my first step is to select the hot area and then feather it by 5-15 pixels and then reduce the brightness or exposure or both. I find that using brightness is the best. Problem is that the whites may become gray so then you have to go to selective color and choose "whites" then reduce the blacks in the whites and move the slider down until the grey is gone.
    Make sure you feather your selection or you will get a hard edge that will show the selection.
    I have also started using a basic luminosity mask and this seems to work really well without greying the whites out. I simply found a YouTube video on how to do it.
    Hope this helps,
    Gail

3. Thanks Giovanni Frescura thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail,I was thinking of a luminosity mask and was watching some tutorials. I know their are several ways to do stuff in photoshop and I have tried several and with different results. I too have had the gray areas show up. Thanks again.

Banned
    Thank You Posts

Everything depends not so much on the camera as on the application in which you process it. By the way, if you find a good application, then remove a part so that it is not visible won't be difficult. I always process photos through applications that have a lot of positive reviews. However, it is pretty challenging to find a suitable application that would qualitatively remove background from image free. I spent a month searching to find an application where the background would be removed so that the objects in the photo don't appear to be cropped. Once you find a good app, then all your problems will be solved.