Thread: African Crowned Eagle, Eastern Cape, South Africa

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African Crowned Eagle, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a huge forest dwelling eagle capable of taking monkeys and small antelope - basically the African equivalent of the Harpy Eagle. The image was created in very low light conditions in a shaded ravine, therefore the need for ISO 2000.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
    Date/Time: 2008:01:05 076:36
    Shutter speed: 1/2000 sec
    Aperture: 6.3
    Exposure mode: Av
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Multi-segment
    ISO: 2000
    Focal length: 700mm

Axel Hildebrandt

I like this a lot, Chris. The light shining through the feathers makes it special. If you clone, I would suggest to remove the two blue spots and the vertical light branch on the top.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 01-09-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, this one pretty much takes my breath away. Superbly rendered in difficult low light conditons; the Mark III is not bad with the high ISOs, and this one is very sharply focused... I second Axel on the background stuff.

Congrats on a killer image; the backlight is spectacular.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

IOTY Winner 2008 Chris van Rooyen's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, comments are greatly appreciated and nits noted:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chris I would love to even see an impressive bird like this let alone create an image of this quality. I love the backlighting and the fact that even the darker underparts of the bird still show details.

Glenn Wheeler

Wonderful image of a very cool bird!!

As noted, the backgound issues are noticable, but not too bothersome. The backlighting is great and really makes the image, but the preserved details in the shadows are great as well.

When you consider the conditions and the ISO 2000, there are remarkable details and sharpness!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image.
    Love the angle, colour & definition but the light thro' the wings is really something special.

Jody Melanson

What a gorgeous raptor and you have done him justice with this presentation! Agree with Axel's nits.

David Hemmings

What a beautiful raptor indeed, so well done with the available light:)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Chris!

Jodee Novak

Chris,

After reading Art Morris' online "BIRDS AS ART BULLTEIN" today where he invited his subscribers to view your images, I couldn't wait to see your work. All is I can say is that your images are absolutely spectacular...to quote Artie, this one "took my breath away!" I can't wait to see your future posts.

I do have a question though, and I apologize if it sounds amateurish - but have you used a noise reduction program or some kind of Photoshop action to eliminate noise from the image, considering that you used an ISO of 2000? Or does your camera perform that well at such high ISO settings? Thanks for any comments you might make to shed a little light on this for me.