Thread: Hyena Greetings

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hyena Greetings

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Wildlife Friends,

Not my best image but I promised to show you more hyena behaviour... This was captured in the Kruger Park in October last year, one late afternoon at about 17:20 pm.

As you can see every member of the clan participates in this ritual of greeting, including the little ones. At times some aggression is displayed but that is only to establish who is the "boss", no one really gets hurt.

One cannot easily identify the sex of spotted hyenas but IMO there are only females present at this scene. I am no expert on the species but have a special interest in hyenas and have learnt quite a bit over time. So my assumption is based on their behaviour and not physical appearance.

A spotted hyena clan usually consists of related females and their young. It is a matriarchal society in which the males ( if they are around) are subordinate to females, which is said to be an adaptation to inhibit male aggression towards pups. Unlike other species, in the hyena the dominance factor is taken a step further, in that the female genitalia looks like that of a male. The testosterone level is often higher in females, which are are also bigger than the males. With animals that have the capability of killing one clan member with a bite, it is important to have some sort of appeasement gestures to inhibit potential aggressive behaviour. This is why, when hyenas greet, they sniff each other's genital areas to avoid the more dangerous side of the body where the teeth are:) At the same time, they show trust by lifting one limb and exposing their vulnerable undersides.

For those of you who do not know, the power of a spotted hyena bite is the most powerful all all mammals for its size - a whooping 800kg per square cm Which BTW enables them to crush a very thick bone with relative ease in order to get to that nutritious marrow Amazing species!!!

Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 3200
    F6.3
    1/1600s

Hope I did not bore you with my long introduction, just thought its was important for you to understand what is going on at the scene. Many thanks for viewing as well as for your kind comments on my previous image, always appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the information that you shared I must say it is something very useful for people who are interested in animal behaviour . So thank you for sharing this info. Quite amazing indeed.

That makes this shot quite amazing as it showcases the behaviour which is not easy to witness on the field. Not the best of IQ's but well framed . Those oof twigs on the lhs are a bit distracting IMO. But still a nice image .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the information that you shared I must say it is something very useful for people who are interested in animal behaviour . So thank you for sharing this info
    Well said Haseeb, very much appreciated Gabriela and it really does dovetail well with your images, they are always 'encompassing postings' which are informative.

A lovely encounter, the crop works and I like the habitat above the den. Nice interaction of the Clan, but I think you could just open some of the shadow areas Gabriela for some more detail. I'm just wondering about if you had gone to 6400
    (no idea on how it performs, have only seen a few Raws) to gain say 1/2000 SS and a tad more DoF if it would have helped? Nice light and I like the warmth coming through. Not sure about what the LH pup did after this frame, but.... I also see the top of another Hyena's head in the BKG, a busy site.

The image has a lot going for it, with lots of interesting elements, keep posting and sharing your information.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Enjoyed the reading about the hyena's. Very interesting information there. I was hoping we would get to see a wide view of the den. The interaction is nice and look at those teeth.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was aware of the genitalia issue but I must admit she is a big boy isn't she!! I didn't realise just how big those girls can be. A very interesting image and informative narrative I enjoyed viewing. I am looking at the tones, I think I am struggling a bit contrast seems a little ill defined I suppose the light angle has a lot to do with that, but are some mid tones too pale and some darks a bit muddy?

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice educational post, even if the image is probably not one I would put on the wall!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much, for viewing and feedback too:) Posted this for many reasons, one of them was to amuse you. I think it worked! And I really enjoyed your comments.

A couple of things and some extra information:

What I saw first when driving past this place was one of those big mama hyenas relaxing in a small pool of water as if it were a jacuzzi. Stopped to look and soon noticed another one lying on the ground behind her. They both got up and as they walked with purpose towards this orange mound I saw the den. Suddenly more hyenas arrived from various directions and also the pups came out, there were two groups of females greeting and the little ones running in-between them excited and playful. When things got a little hectic the pups ran to the den for safety...So a lot going on and I must admit I did not check the histogram that much, was somewhat deceived by this golden light and did not realise the light was fading. My last frames from this scene show a SS of 1/800s - definitely not enough so I am not even going to try process them.

This is a fairly large crop, the reason for it being those dry sticks - they really spoil the image as they occur all over the place. Sadly I have a great number of shots from this sighting but in a majority of them the little cubs are behind dry vegetation. There was no point in moving the vehicle because the subjects ran all over the place so the situation changed all the time. BTW one youngster went behind the vehicle and was busy sniffling the spare tyre. I guess the main reason for the drop in IQ is my heavy cropping. Did lift the shadows and blacks quite a bit during processing in LR and I think it shows. I might try a more selective approach when I process the next one.

More posts to come, so brace yourselves Let me know when you get bored of the spotted hyenas and I will post a brown one

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am sure I am not the only one who says, "lets see more.... and now please!"

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh you are too kind, Jon. I am working on it When are you coming back to SA, and would you visit the Kruger Park again?
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Oh you are too kind, Jon. I am working on it When are you coming back to SA, and would you visit the Kruger Park again?
    I am not sure when Gabriela, I am going to India this year, next year maybe California - which was intended to be this year! I would hope within the next two to three years and yes specifically for Kruger.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela you present a very nice behaviour shot ...and the given additional info is rounding this posting up . Well done !!!
    I am fine with the overall presentation , for me no more DOF needed , just think you can afford to loose some of the top , going for a 16 x 10 pano .
    Would it not have been great , if the hyaena in the BG would have stood on the ridge ???!!!
    Tone and color /contrast is looking good and pleasing .
    Overall a very nice frame ....well presented .
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Andreas,

Was in two minds about going more pano, the main reason why I didn't was I feared losing more IQ.

Talking about the hyena peeping at the top - I have one frame with her standing on the ridge, will post soon

Have a wonderful evening Boetie,
    Gabriela Plesea