Thread: The ties that bind.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The ties that bind.

Attached Images Attached Images

6.45 pm and with light virtually gone,

an 18 mth old sub adult male leopard, still closely tied to mum and partially relying on her for food makes an unsuccessful attempt to hunt Reedbuck.

Bushman Plains, NG 12 concession- Botswana.

Nikon D5
    Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR
    1/400s
    f/2.8
    ISO25600

1400PX wide.

Beanbag front pax seat, F/F, curves, levels, selective NR on BG only, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC'19.

Wishing all here @ BPN a very successfull and happy 2019 filled with creative imagery.

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 01-02-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great for that high ISO. Wish it gave you more of a head turn. But this is still nice.

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc ...really gorgeous frame , specially under the given circumstances !!!
    Does reflect the situation you described ...very well in terms of lighting and overall color/tonal appearance .
    Love the comp , the superb creamy BG and the gaze into the dead space of the frame.

If this was mine ... i might try to lower the contrast overall , giving a rather flat look having that situation in mind . Looks very good in terms of High Iso !!

Nice one ...TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks like a page from a story book, Marc! Beautiful expression from this young leopard and a lovely dreamy quality to the image overall.

Happy to see the D5 perform so well in low light. Would be interesting to see what happens if you followed Andreas's suggestion regarding contrast.

Love the soft BG, composition is great, if this were mine I would try flip it horizontally so that the subject enters the frame from the right hand side.

Good thinking on techs and super timing, Marc. Hope to see more images from this trip, seems it was packed with wonderful sightings

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks John, Gabriela & Andreas.

Did you receive my PM Gabriela?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really pretty. Love the dark tones and the feel of this. I absolutely would not lower the contrast in any way on this shot. In dark and dim light things look dark and dim. You have deep blacks and little areas of color. Lowering contrast would artificially flatten the shot. Seems to be a common thing on the wildlife forum to have very flat and low contrast type shots but that is not really how I see the world. The only leopard I saw was on a night drive in South Africa. We saw at the very edge of the head lights. About 90 degrees from the light so the cat was really dim. Eventually the driver put a spot light on it but I remember that scene very well. Deep dark grass and the beautiful warm tones of the cat. Lowering the contrast would not be what this looked like. Oh and beautiful work with the ISO. Said it on another post, but you wildlife guys are put the avian folks on notice with your high ISO work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc, ISO 25600, really? IQ is incredible. Looks like I will have to get D5 soon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate your comments Isaac & Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    This is really pretty. Love the dark tones and the feel of this. I absolutely would not lower the contrast in any way on this shot. In dark and dim light things look dark and dim. You have deep blacks and little areas of color. Lowering contrast would artificially flatten the shot. Seems to be a common thing on the wildlife forum to have very flat and low contrast type shots but that is not really how I see the world. The only leopard I saw was on a night drive in South Africa. We saw at the very edge of the head lights. About 90 degrees from the light so the cat was really dim. Eventually the driver put a spot light on it but I remember that scene very well. Deep dark grass and the beautiful warm tones of the cat. Lowering the contrast would not be what this looked like. Oh and beautiful work with the ISO. Said it on another post, but you wildlife guys are put the avian folks on notice with your high ISO work!
    Isaac, I totally share your insights on what our concept of contrast for the given lighting conditions should be, and why I'm totally happy with this version.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- Very nicely framed and the image looks good for such a high iso . I agree with Andreas reg the contrast suggestion . Nicely done considering the situation .

TFS !

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post