Thread: Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) breeding color

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) breeding color

Attached Images Attached Images

Little Egret (breeding color) Pinkish lore with purple coloration towards beak.
    Two ribbon-like head plumes present.
    I was wondering if anyone has seen this before?
    Near Macleay, NSW Australia.
    Nikon D500

600mm f4 VR with 1.4x tele
    Tripod
    Shutter 2000, f8, Auto ISO 450, exp -0.7
    1.22pm -light cloud 12/12/2018

Photoshop crop, exp, whites, noise reduction and sharpen.

Lots of egrets in this area but only two little egrets (pair) that could be seen.
    The other mate had pinkish lore but no purple.
    Thanks for looking
    Peter
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 12-14-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Peter, I like the breeding colours on the lores, and the Egret pops against the darker BG. I'm not sure about your crop. The way I see this is, either you crop to achieve a portrait of the head a bit of the wing, or your crop to show the whole subject. Here you have a 'three quarter' subject which doesnt work for me.

3. Thanks Peter Scholer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thanks Is this better

Thank you Stu I will try this!
    Here I wanted to show the head ribbons as well if its not to much to include.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Before reading Stu's comment or seeing your repost I came up with this one. It surely needed to crop from below to eliminate the ugliest parts of the mangroves. Love those lores; they are reminiscent of white morph Reddish Egret (though much more closely related to our Snow Egret). In addition to the crop, I worked to even out the exposure as with the light from the left, parts for the face were shaded. I also opened up the shaded triangle on the neck as well as the iris and the lores. Last was some selective sharpening on the lores and the eye.

We would love to see some images of your "other egrets." In what month was this created?

thanks, and thanks for your membership support.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

6. Thanks Peter Scholer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose on the bird is nice and i like the breeding color on the lore. Bird really pops against that dark background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Art, much appreciate your edit and helpful comments. The improved image looks much better with the cropping, lighting and selective sharpening.
    I looked at the morph Reddish Egret you mentioned and the lore colors are similar, the colors are reversed with the purple being closer to the eye. Nature is wonderful!
    I will definitely post some of the other egrets from here. Northern NSW Australia.
    The image was created this month, December on the 12th 2018.
    Peter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Peter. Do you ever get to the northwestern coast of Australia to photograph the shorebirds in spring plumage??? (I just learned that the Gold Coast is on the opposite side of the country ...)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    YAW Peter. Do you ever get to the northwestern coast of Australia to photograph the shorebirds in spring plumage??? (I just learned that the Gold Coast is on the opposite side of the country ...)

a
    Hi Art,
    Not so lucky, but love to get there.
    It is approx 5,000kms or 3106 miles away. The Kimberley Coast would be awesome.
    Peter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Peter. Perhaps a bucket list trip for me ... Two weeks Down Under and maybe NZ as well ... See you then.

with love, arite