Thread: Nuthatch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nuthatch

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

A nuthatch taken at a feeder set up at my folks place. Small crop. These guys were really active so I got a lot of the 'standard' pose from them, but I thought this one was a bit different.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 200-500mm at 400mm off a tripod
    Specs: 1/1600 f/7.1 ISO 1000.

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These are fast little buggers. SH with a good exposure. Did you set up the perch?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, they are super fast. This was my first time using a tripod for wildlife photography which really helped in this setting. I did set up the perch -- I ziptied it to a cheap tripod which seemed to be pretty stable. I experimented with 3-4 different woodpecker / nuthatch perches this past weekend. Best,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Alex. Think thinner on a perch for the nuthatches and other smaller species. A rotted section of tree trunk about 3-4 feet long in a planter with some suet in the cracks can work well for the woodpeckers ...

am
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice shot Alex, I like the HA and good details, what I don't like so much is the perch that has intersected with the bird and is a bit too large/thick for my taste

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love these little guys. One of my favorite "feeder" birds. I agree witht he comments above, and would add that there may be some extra details to extract from the whites. Awesome details on the other areas, and I like the alert pose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details and head angle. And good to see it against a clean background. If selecting the perch I would be more selective and get something really memorable and different than the standard nuthatch on the side of tree trunk that you have seen thousands of shots of. Also the whites of the face look a touch hot to me. I also think that if you have the pixels that this should get an 8:10 type vertical crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These little guys hop all over. Nice to see one still and not up side down. Nice details. Great background.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-13-2018 at 06:12 AM. Reason: hop fro hope