Thread: Dew Drops...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dew Drops...

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image of a female Red-winged Blackbird at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 1400 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like the perch, BG, and color scheme. The dew drops are too cool. I'm not sure if it's from cloning, but I see a line in the BG above the head that could be smoothed over. I think I'd sharpen the face a bit more as well. TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I like the simplicity of the image, but the colour looks a bit off, the WB needs to go cooler (carrying too much magenta), then start from that point.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, I like the simplicity of the image, but the colour looks a bit off, the WB needs to go cooler (carrying too much magenta), then start from that point.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, since upgrading to the Eizo wide gamut display don't look the same when posted in BPN. I thought it was internet explorer so I changed to chrome. Chrome is better but still there is a change in colors. Any ideas why?
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the way that you used the curved reed. Looks too dark to me but nobody else mentioned that ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, since upgrading to the Eizo wide gamut display don't look the same when posted in BPN.
    Joe, Eizo is awesome and one of the best, if it looks right on the monitor, then it has to be during exporting to PS & output to web. I will send you something that I have sent to Dumay & Haseeb, see if it helps. BTW I should have said -7 & -14, not -2 & -11, sorry Joe.

Artie, although I'm currently using the MB Pro (with an anti glare screen), not 'calibrated' it looks OK, however the Histogram of the posting looks OK.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, Eizo is awesome and one of the best, if it looks right on the monitor, then it has to be during exporting to PS & output to web. I will send you something that I have sent to Dumay & Haseeb, see if it helps. BTW I should have said -7 & -14, not -2 & -11, sorry Joe.

Artie, although I'm currently using the MB Pro (with an anti glare screen), not 'calibrated' it looks OK, however the Histogram of the posting looks OK.
    Okie doke, here is a repost with -7 & -14. WDYT? Thanks Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, firstly, did you get my email and a 'step' guide, does it make sense and is there anything there that flags up any discrepancies in your Workflow?

Those two changes will only give you the correct mid RGB point, after which you then need to either go cooler/warmer and then address colour within LR management system with further tweaks within PS. I'm away and so I can't really judge on the RP, it might need a little reduction in Blue, check the bill?

Q - is there anything you may have done close to the reed where the waterdroplet forms, either side looks soft as if there has been some masking and a cut to the LHS of the droplet?

Keep me posted, but just heading out to a Remembrance evening shortly, so I may not respond until later.

Cheers
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, firstly, did you get my email and a 'step' guide, does it make sense and is there anything there that flags up any discrepancies in your Workflow?

Those two changes will only give you the correct mid RGB point, after which you then need to either go cooler/warmer and then address colour within LR management system with further tweaks within PS. I'm away and so I can't really judge on the RP, it might need a little reduction in Blue, check the bill?

Q - is there anything you may have done close to the reed where the waterdroplet forms, either side looks soft as if there has been some masking and a cut to the LHS of the droplet?

Keep me posted, but just heading out to a Remembrance evening shortly, so I may not respond until later.

Cheers
    Steve
    Hi Steve, I did get your email. I read it briefly but want to get into it more later, check settings etc..

Nothing done to the background in the area of the dew drops. The morning was very foggy which made post processing difficult.

Enjoy your evening and be safe.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

... however the Histogram of the posting looks OK.
    Hi Steve et. al.,

A histogram can look perfect with data from edge to edge but the image overall may be too dark -- that's why I often advise to "pull op the curve a bit."

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve et. al., A histogram can look perfect with data from edge to edge but the image overall may be too dark -- that's why I often advise to "pull op the curve a bit."
    Very true Artie, the Histogram invariably has to change from the original capture, but one thing to note Joe and if you are using ACR Artie (which has the same engine to my knowledge), when imported into the Raw converter the actual Histogram is not the same as you see 'in camera', it's Adobe managing things again.

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe. I really like the comp and pose. I do see something funky about the edges of the reed on either side of the upper droplet. Some cloning, perhaps?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Hi Joe. I really like the comp and pose. I do see something funky about the edges of the reed on either side of the upper droplet. Some cloning, perhaps?
    Hi Bill, yup... poor cloning in that area. Note to self... be more careful and check and check and check. Here is a edit and repost with that fixed... I think. Steve sent me a email with the areas you mentioned highlighted. Thank you to both of you.
    Joe Przybyla