Thread: Headed South

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Headed South

Attached Images Attached Images

From recent visit to Victoriaville Quebec where there can be as many as 180000 snow geese at the peak of migration. The location is a man made reservoir for the city water supply . great location where you can get within a few feet of them but not so great for backgrounds. I found the dark clouds with the sun low in the sky to be the nicest so far.
    Very impressive to watch and well worth the 2 hour drive.
    1dxmarkII 400f5.6L+ ex1.4III
    1/2500 f8 iso 800
    converted in dpp selective sharpening in photoshop and cropped to 16x9

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've been able to select those three birds from the flock nicely. The oof birds give context, just a pity that couple are behine the front bird. Nice light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Tough shot to have BG geese nd unobstructed flight path for the trio in front. I like the image, and the dark clouds certainly gave some very nice interest . I bet the filtration system at the water supply must be working overtime!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done with what you had but they were flying relatively high and the wing positions could have been better. SH and EXP good. And yes, the merges are distracting.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the clouds, and I agree the oof birds do give it some depth and context (except for the ones behind the lead bird, that I might clone out). Always tough to get multiple birds to cooperate; you did well with this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have not been there in a few years - I should pay a visit again sometime. A great afternoon spot. The merges are unfortunate, but I love the image and the hint of clouds. A bit of a hot spot of the top-most goose.