Thread: Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a species which is very commonly seen in my area during migration and which nests within about 50 miles of my house. However getting it low down and at eye level in a spot with a clean background is extremely difficult. This adult male was photographed in June on the woods of Eastern Pennsylvania.

Canon 1dx mark 2 and Canon 600 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 2500, F6.3, SS 1/1250

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail looks great for ISO 2500! Perch is perfect, and I like his toes peeking out to give us some sense of this leg position.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The frame within the frame is nice. Love all the green. Nice pose on the bird as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Clear, sharp, beautiful in its green surroundings. I probably would have cropped it a touch closer to get rid of the broken twig but now I'm nitpicking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The somewhat centered image design works well here with the leaves. Bummer that this somewhat ratty looking bird was not facing you ... Losing the twig poking the bird in the breast would be an option.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This bird was extremely cooperative. I have load of images of it from every angle. I have it with food, i have it singimg, etc. A few moths back I posted a closeup of the bird facing us. I liked this pose as it is one i have not seen before of the species. Back of this species has to get some love too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great. Post a link to the one with the red :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, lovely show off pose, and nicely framed in the V of the foliage. Good DOF throughout the image, and you have brought out the feather detail and exposure very well on the Grosbeak. Always great to have a cooperative subject - you just shoot away with plenty different shots and comps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Thanks. I far prefer that one ...

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you like the other one. The guy was so cooperative that I walked away from it and moved back to make images with more space and the bird smaller in the frame. The spot was really good as there was a hill with a steep drop off below where i was and the bird was at the tops of trees with sparse vegetation, but the tops of the trees were at eye level from where I was. Gave plenty of chances to get all different types of shots.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Isaac.I really like how the leaves frame the bird. The BG is nice as well. Look back pose is cool and not something I've seen before. I haven't gotten a proper shot of these guys, so very jealous! TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your first posted image better, the feathers appear better. But as you said the back needs some love also. I would lose the twig poking it in the chest as Artie suggested. Thank you for sharing, Isaac.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tough to get these guys at eye level, as you say. It sounds like you found a great spot. I love the classic frontal view of the species, but it's nice to see the reverse side as you have so nicely captured here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Well done Isaac, I enjoyed both of your posts. Its very nice to see such an unobstructed perch with interesting intact leaves. Process looks excellent for the ISO and it is a beautiful composition. I would also remove the chest twig...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed. I really like the BG here and the perch. Lovely detail on the bird and the small show of red adds. I already commented on your other image of this bird...Nice work Isaac.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments and critiques. It is always good to hear others thoughts about pose, head angle, cloning and crops. The comments are always appreciated and a testament to this site. It is in my opinion the best place on the web for bird photographers to learn and am always happy to be a part of the BPN community. There just is not anything else like it where people give open and honest critiques and share ideas and opinions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Besides the bird being a little ratty, this one looks great. I really like the composition with the branches and leaves framing the subject well and that BG is beautiful. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com