Thread: Red-necked phalarope

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-necked phalarope

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image at Antelope Island, Salt Lake UT.

We generally have lots of Wilson Phalarope and some Red-Necked Phalarope. This is Adult Red-Necked Phalarope in Non Breeding Plumage. Bird is surrounded by Brine Flies which is their source of food during fall and spring migration.

Usually these stay far into the Utah Lake and are very much difficult to photograph. But this year I got a chance to see them up close and photograph them.

Nikon D500, 500mm f/4 + 1.7x TCII
    ISO 1000, f/6.7, 1/1000 sec
    Manual Mode, Matrix Metering

Post Processing:-

Rawprocessing - Capture One Pro
    Tried to reduce the highlights by dodging.
    Neat Image Noise Reduction
    Sharpening and remove some distracting bugs in Water - Affinity Photo.
    Slight cropping to straighten Horizon.

Hope you like the image.

Thanks
    Krishna

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna, well exposed on the Phalarope, and I do like the colours on the outstretched wing. Although we always deal with the ROT's, I feel you could move the Phalarope move into the centre. The reflection is nearly there with regards to having a clear reflection. I feel the OOF ' blobs are a distraction, but they were there at the time of capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I sort of like the bird surrounded by its food. My eye was drawn to the bird because of the lovely colours and detail. Nice image.

Will

4. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the original framing as it balances nicely with the perched flies on the right side of the frame. (Sorry Stu )

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool image Krishna and the flies really add to the scene. Bird looks great to me but I would add a touch more selective sharpening to the head. Critical focus seems to have been on the shoulder? Although I guess with an actively preening bird and a shutter speed on only 1/1000 that I could be seeing motion blur in which case I would for sure apply some smart sharpening to the head at maybe .4 and 70 and see if that helps.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the composition and the reflection. The flies are pretty neat. Im sure this bird did not go hungry that day.