Thread: Punching Above Its Weight !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Punching Above Its Weight !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions on my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Here is another image of one of the cubs which i posted yesterday.

This was from the next day when we sighted them ( again I was the first to see the female ), early in the morning. This time the females had taken down a WB. When we reached the spot the cubs were trying to figure out this new thing with horns and they were all over the kill. Luckily it was right next to the tyre tracks so we had a good view to the kill, this being Savute so no off roading was permitted. I had no other angle or the opportunity to get those legs of the cub completely in the frame as either it was blocked by another cub or the grass or WB itself, so I framed it as I thought best. Light was starting to hit pretty softly and there was some colour started to creep in the light. As usual the cubs were at their boisterous best.

All your C&C's are most welcome .

DPP 4.8, PSCC2018, WB, Curves, reduced the contrast , vib/sat, selective colour, NR, sharpening , cropped from top , slightly from lhs and rhs, cloned out a couple of shimmering grass blades running across the cubs lower belly area.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm f4 IS USM @ 400mm, Bean Bag.

1/2500, f/4.0, ISO 8000.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Another cute moment. The cub looks wary of the wildebeest despite it being dead already. Love the early morning light hitting the cub. Where was the FP? The far eye and the claw closer to the wb's nose look sharper than the near eye. I think you needed a bit more dof and could have dropped the ss slightly in favor of more dof.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. The light hitting the cub makes it really stand out. Looks curious about what to do with the kill.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb .... wow what a great moment , with that cub looking fearful and powerful at the same time . Lovely light hitting the face ...
    Color and tones are looking good overall , i think you can afford more tonal depth from HL to mid tones . Just my take .
    Wondering if you could not get more fine detail in the fur with the kit ....
    TFS Andreas

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Haseeb,

You are now officially a member of the high ISO club

I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed viewing this frame. As well as reading Andreas's comments above: " ...cub looking fearful and powerful at the same time...", oh well he took the words from my mouth

My thoughts tonight, after viewing a number of images posted: we all go out there hopeful and thirsty for awesome scenes like this. And maybe it is perhaps because we get too excited, that we sometimes fail to put into practice those things we know when the situation requires most. I have learnt to watch the histogram and the SS is just about always right but I still fail ever so often when it comes to DoF. In your case here I do not know whether you had enough time to think about it, I just feel F5.6 would have made a difference, 6.3 even better and you would have still retained enough SS ( I know, easy for me to comment now, sitting comfortably on my chair in front of the computer)
    Wonderful expression from the cub and I love those outstretched paws, light is gorgeous. Colours look good but I too think you can do some more work on it in terms of tonal depth, certainly worth the time. Overall a very special image Haseeb, you truly made my evening

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, I love cubs but had no opportunity to photograph them this young while I was at Mara. So I really enjoyed the curious expression on the cub's eyes. Light is gorgeous. And WB provides striking yet pleasing contrast.TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone and sorry for replying so late.

Will look into the suggestions as mentioned above and @Rachel if I remember the fp was on the snout but will have to verfiy.