Thread: Lunch time

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lunch time

Attached Images Attached Images

A lioness works on her meal at Serengeti. The male had brought the WB down and the male and female ate together and then the lion walked off for a drink at a puddle.
    5D IV
    500mm
    1/2500
    f/7.1
    ISO 800

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I rather like the POV here, as often most folk, including myself will have gone for a tighter POV, however having the whole kill in frame with the eye works for me. It not only gives scale to the kill but also highlights the first bit to be eaten is the soft fleshy parts. The light looks harsh, based on the habitat and the eyes are partially closed, looks like she was facing, in part into the sun, although overall it looks well exposed. Not loving the soil mound in the FG but nothing you could have done, even changing position. Techs look ok, but you could have dropped the ISO and so SS would have dropped, but if HH always good to have some SS up your sleeve for folk rocking or moving in the vehicle.

the male and female ate together and then the lion walked off for a drink at a puddle
    The kill & blood will dehydrate them.

No ideal, on the laptop, but the colour appears a bit off and I think you can get more colour from the environment, I'll drop you a line as it appears RP's aren't helping overall, so I'll keep things more to a one 2 one. I also think you now need to build on your PP skills and decide - do I keep things to a minimal, or, do you look to develop the image more, as workflows/PP don't just stay static, they need to be constantly honed, like your photo skills. With the updates of software and new things coming along to help you, so just because you don't always use something this should never be ruled out, especially with the kit you have. It's amazing how, when you should folk some simple tweaks how it brings more to an image and so it was refreshing to see this on the second part of the trip when I was helping folk, but you have to maintain this.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - An interesting perspective. I like the blood on the face and the bit of teeth visible. Not sure how I feel about the comp. If I was including the whole kill, I probably would have gone for more dof because it almost feels like the kill is the subject and I want more of it in focus. I would be interested to see what you and Steve can do with this one. It almost looks like there may have been some heat haze interfering with the colors and sharpness?

TFS,
    Rachel

4. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lunch time indeed. You handled this situation well. The only this i can this is maybe more of a pano crop.

6. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, I like your shot, you have my sympathy regarding the colours, I would check the colour balance and then see how colours change subtly depending upon where you put the dropper. I suspect the light angle and intensity was not quite optimal but I think there is a good shot thee.

8. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- This is nicely framed and quite a moment to witness. The harsh lighting is not ideal here and looks you have tried to bring down the HL on the lioness fur and inside of the thigh of the WB. That piece of soil in the FG is not ideal either but inspite of all that you have done a decent job with this capture. TFS !

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

Quite a powerful image with the victim looking as if still alive, its eye tells the story. And good thinking in terms of composition with the wildebeest filling the frame and leading to the lioness. Nice POV too.

Light might have been harsh but you exposed well, nice work in the field. Subject is sharp and nice detail on her face, love those flat ears that show just a tad of weariness, or aggression - wondering how long after the kill this was captured?

Glad you are in touch with Steve and certain he will give you good advice regarding colours, a bit of vibrance or "punch" would be beneficial to this already dramatic capture.
    Lovely work Sanjeev, thank you for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

12. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, this was a fresh kill, about 15 min to half an hour max after the male brought it down single handedly. It was dragged to a nearby 'safe' spot then the feeding began.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev, I'll send you a quick revise, but on the laptop, so... Will have a better play when I'm back and send you some pointers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, did you get the images with both lion and lioness feeding together? That must be interesting. I think including eye of WB provides good sense of scale. Interesting compo. From the shadow on the lioness face, it seems you must have missed your breakfast !