Thread: Meerkat Manor

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Meerkat Manor

Attached Images Attached Images

Hit the ground running since I got back last week and have only just begun to start to edit images and so most of next week will be taken up with that as, I'm away again and can take stock. In addition, it was great to catch up with Stu Bowie again several times on the trip and also, finally, the person with the biggest heart here on BPN - Gabriela. Circumstances meant I was close by and so it was a really great to catch up, she stay the night and even squeeze her in on a game drive too, a good fact-finding trip to.

It was -4 as we set off, a tad cold, but nice to start off with these guys. It was also great to be able to walk with some of the encounters, including Wild dog & Cheetah. These guys took a little bit of time to warm up so it provided the opportunity to get some of the 'standard' images we have all come to know before they all shot off to forage. Shooting flat is what I love to do and take any opportunity to do so and this trip aided that. The light change quickly and so you had to work fast before it got harsh.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Meerkat (Suricata suricatta) warming up
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/5.6 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO640
    Original format: Portrait, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 07-21-2018 at 04:19 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light. Like the red dirt. Low angle is great. Don't really care for the upper right of the background. Still nice frame though.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve

Thank you from the heart for such kind words I feel we did not spend enough time together and was rather sad to say good bye, nevertheless we had such a wonderful time and I so look forward to your next visit! So sorry I could not join you all in Joburg, next time I will make sure I do not miss out

Love Meerkats and I must admit I have never had the opportunity to photograph one in such great light. Light makes a huge difference, here the subject's fur is soft and shiny while in a great number of my images it appears rather coarse no matter how gentle my PP work. Such wonderful detail, Steve. Pose is typical of the species, I gather this little chap was scanning the surroundings for predators ( together with the fellow behind him).

An interesting thing about Meerkats is, they form great packs of ten to thirty individuals yet there is very little or no aggression at all between the members ( I would love to know how big this pack was?). They are highly sociable creatures and although there's always an alpha male and his female they do allow for several other breeding males and females.

Back to your image, I really like the POV here and framing is great. Beautiful soft BG. The sand in the FG is as red as I remember it, the most beautiful dune colour - I collect a bit every time I go to the KTP hoping to build my own dune in the garden one day

Lovely first image from your SA trip - whew, it must be awesome to have new folders with frames to choose from! I am struggling a bit these days so playing around with some old images, hopefully things will change soon:)

Thank you so much for sharing Steve, a pleasure to view as always!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I like the sitting pose and those deep red sands of the Kalahari. I'm not a fan of the oof meerkat intersecting the main subject and also wish for some more room to the rhs for the end of the tail and with the meerkat looking that way.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you from the heart for such kind words
    You are more than welcome, but it's not just me who thinks it. Time was brief, but perhaps I can prise Mr Bowie out of Jo'Berg with an enticement next time, but you also have to meet Colleen too, a fab person. Committed as you know in September & December & next year, but I think there was enough to go on for a future trip, but a different one for sure, just need to work on logistics when I come up for air, etc...

Yep, a fun beginning with the Meerkats and hopefully 'Mum' has 'pupped' by now, as you saw, she was about to explode? The red soil and light was at times ridiculous and the ranger we had that was drafted in specially was good too, the three of us had a ball for sure, just need to slowly go through things.

The sand in the FG is as red as I remember it, the most beautiful dune colour
    I have a small bottle of sand by the tablet, next to 'pointy'.

I am struggling a bit these days so playing around with some old images, hopefully things will change soon
    Indeed it will, but also explore some new techs with the old images, you never know.

Cheers
    Steve

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not a fan of the oof meerkat intersecting the main subject and also wish for some more room to the rhs for the end of the tail and with the meerkat looking that way.
    Probably just a difference in tastes really Rachel, for me it's far enough OOF not to be distracting, as for the tail, it disappeared behind the ledge and is a very minor point I feel.

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,my apologies for my absense. The job's done and a body is heading my way oorraa!! another tick off my little list and a day closer to less hours and more image making

Steve that red sand is so striking love the laid back pose with that juxta of the ever watchful gaze. Framing and comp work for me ,i'm not really bothered by the fella behind. for me it shows the social aspect of a Meerkat's life.

Steve I really adore the processing ,there is almost a vibrance/sheen to the image,I can't find the right word Steve glowing maybe says it better,as well as your usual outstanding detail.

TFS

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu, no need for any apology, just sorry to hear you are under the weather, but hopefully on the mend.

Yes the soil was striking in the light and great to have the opportunity to walk & be part of this moment rather than shooting from the vehicle, it makes a huge difference and given some nice access across the board with some of the subjects we encountered. It was also nice to help others on the second leg and see how in a week they just shot up in their photography, reading histograms, settings etc, but sadly, not even my skills could bring back one poor persons camera, thank God for the internet & overnight Couriers.

I'm not in a rush to post, there is a truck load to do, catalogue, edit, and process, so I'm away to do just that over the next two weeks.

Am I right in thinking you might be looking at a new camera body, fingers crossed, but don't make a rash decision - especially the 7D models.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Stu, no need for any apology, just sorry to hear you are under the weather, but hopefully on the mend.

Yes the soil was striking in the light and great to have the opportunity to walk & be part of this moment rather than shooting from the vehicle, it makes a huge difference and given some nice access across the board with some of the subjects we encountered. It was also nice to help others on the second leg and see how in a week they just shot up in their photography, reading histograms, settings etc, but sadly, not even my skills could bring back one poor persons camera, thank God for the internet & overnight Couriers.

I'm not in a rush to post, there is a truck load to do, catalogue, edit, and process, so I'm away to do just that over the next two weeks.

Am I right in thinking you might be looking at a new camera body, fingers crossed, but don't make a rash decision - especially the 7D models.
    Steve i'm fine buddy I'been pushing too hard work wise for a long time,so a virus floored me,but only for a couple of days Thanks for the thoughts . It was only mentioned because it gave me time to say Hello

Buddy of late i've been hitting making images of Roe,I call it " drive by shooting",it's a pale shadow of being free with nature. Steve it is just not the same as sneaking up a hedge and BEING with an a dozing roe . I understand your thoughts completely !! I find it desparately limiting being in a buggy but it has it's uses.

I'm thrilled for that guy/gal (whose camera played up) got it sorted out Steve ,that's a lovely thing

I've bought a used 1DX ii from Park .i've bought and paid the old way that's a lot of 50p's when one earns 50p/ meter. Tis paid for no credit stuff. The camera should arrive tues along with spare battery and a couple of thingies llke cfast card. ha ha Steve I'm so stoked I hope it's a good 'un.

I'm slowly building a a tool kit I'm killing (buying) the big stuff first then I'll get more time in the field with tools to grow into.

I'll keep my 1Div as a second body and look towards some wider lenses now,but no rush . Much to learn with the new body

Mate I'm stunned base tools of lens and body done in a year,sure a bit of graft,

but pain is temporary

an image

forever

take care kiddo

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Loved the details and the colour of the sand. Great IQ with this combo . Tail is no an issue for me but the OOF meerkat in the BKG is a bit distracting since it is intersecting with the main sub, but understand that it is more a matter of taste in such scenarios . A nice image overall.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a fascinating image with super low angle, lovely light and the details are so good. The OOF Meerkat doesn't bother me, obviously if would have been better without it but thats fine. TFS. Look forward to more from your trip. Hope you are liking the 100-400 II :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look forward to more from your trip. Hope you are liking the 100-400 II :-)
    Cheers Sanjeev, 100-400 was used for convenience, but still the 200-400 & 500 were also in constant use, a bit cramped in the passenger seat at times, not forgetting the 16-35!!!