Thread: Puffin - close-up

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Puffin - close-up

Attached Images Attached Images

Not quite the close-up I wanted, but as I eluded to on the previous posting, on the initial landing we were limited to a far short space of time, only for it to then change. By which time the Puffins were getting harassed by the Gulls and getting very edgy, so they were not playing ball so much.

The Wardens were also being incredibly enforcefull with a group of photographers who were pushing their lenses beyond the boundaries and so it's worth packing some extenders to avoid any issues. This is with the 2x which just works so well with the AF of the 1DXMKII and at ISO4000 it's generated a very acceptable file.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica) close-up
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 with 2x
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/10 ISO4000
    Original format: Landscape almost, all bar the shouting FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Steve. Love the feather detail and the colours on the bill gives a great boost. The BG shows the bird well. You got great detail in the eye area. Nice look back pose. I'm seeing posterisation on the BG, but thats not unusual on my monitor. I'm seeing it quite a bit on my images since I got the iMac. but, I won't shoot at ISO 4000

Good work

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Great detail here. Yes, ISO 4000 is very acceptable indeed. Nice and sharp i also like the composition here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, sweet details, nice colors and BG, one of my favorite birds. It's on my bucket list.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm seeing posterisation on the BG, but thats not unusual on my monitor. I'm seeing it quite a bit on my images since I got the iMac. but, I won't shoot at ISO 4000
    Hi Will, no posterisation, but it sound like you have some big issues which need to be addressed ASAP, have you spoken to Apple, or is it how you have set it up? Years ago we used to use Apple monitors for the studio, but then swopped out to Eizo. No idea why you won't push the ISO, you have a 1DX, but your call, however I think in the future it may limit you perhaps in certain instances, if you don't believe me ask Jon. Controlling ISO is so easy these days.

Very nice. Great detail here. Yes, ISO 4000 is very acceptable indeed. Nice and sharp i also like the composition here.
    Thanks John.

Steve, sweet details, nice colors and BG, one of my favorite birds. It's on my bucket list.
    Cheers Tim, if you want Puffins and have them running around your feet and shoot with say a 24-70 then you need to visit the Shetlands

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful portrait Steve! Great details and colors throughout. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a really nice head portrait.
    IQ is exceptional and the exposure is perfect- whites and blacks exposed for beautifully.
    I might be tempted to smudge the transition line of the pale circle to the left of puffin but certainly not a big issue,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again guys.

I might be tempted to smudge the transition line of the pale circle to the left of puffin but certainly not a big issue,
    Thanks Gail, on the print it's far more of a gentle transition, the issue is, and this is why I never heed anyone who says it looks great on screen, is that trying to achieve the background colour took some time at print stage (soft proofing) as some colours are difficult/harder to replicate. Therefore a 'print file' may very in it's overall look compare to a screen file, plus the two mediums, as you know, are polls apart. I'm just doing a print for someone here on BPN and they will have four prints to illustrate this very point, because of the backdrop they shot the subjects against. Apologies in going off topic.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cracker of a portrait, Steve. Love everything about it and brought home by your exceptional processing skills. Glad you had a good trip and look forward to seeing more.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding Steve, you really nailed it well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon, are you up & running, great will give you a call, thank you.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is stunning Steve,

Perfect HA from the subject and colours are superb.

Beautiful detail as always, I am green with envy

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent details and processing Steve, I don't see any posterization. I always encourage folks to invest in a high quality stand alone monitor if they are serious about photography.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent details and processing Steve, I don't see any posterization.
    Cheers Arash, much appreciated.

I always encourage folks to invest in a high quality stand alone monitor if they are serious about photography.
    Things have come a long way Arash since things like 'Dev & Fix' baths, Contact sheets and rolls of film at various ISO/ASA ratings . Yep, having a good screen that is well maintained, correctly set-up and in a reasonable 'environment' does go a long way, but we also need to remember that some folk may not wish to go to the nth degree or indeed have the budget. Certainly from my perspective having the luxury of two monitors side by side (one for the image, one for the palette) is nice and makes life a lot easier, seeing just the image with no clutter is a luxury, but coming from a 'Graphic' lead background does help I think?