Thread: Black backed jackal

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black backed jackal

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5d III Canon 100-400 L IS II ISO 3200, 1/500 sec f5.6
    ACR + PSCC, Colour Balance removed blue, luminosity mask to the fur highlights, tonal adjustment to vegetation.

Usually I'd go for a higher SS but I thought I could get away with it at 1/500 as it was walking slowly more or less directly toward me. I am guessing slightly back focused, the ears sharp, the eye lid detail was only just discernible in the raw file.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks quite good for what you had to work with. Like the lowish angle and the head on approach of the jackal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon the head looks pretty sharp to me but do wonder if 1/500 is enough for movement and just wondered about 5.6 just my wonderings of course Jon,think it's great the way you have got him coming towards you and how you have explained to me how you got these shots,very well done.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Jon -- Loved the eye contact and the vertical framing works well but would have liked a bit more space at the foot of the image. Rain streak adds to the scene as well and greens are complementing the feel. I still see a bit cyan/blueish cast in the image especially in the whites. Also the ears are looking sharper as compared to the face . Lets see what others have to say.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, so close and yet so far... hard to say too much as I'm away and viewing on the laptop, although we can discuss things on Monday

Firstly, yes too slow SS, not enough for the subject to walk into, you wanted to be around f/8. Again I suppose you were in the car, otherwise I think being lower and looking slightly up may have worked better? Head down and raised front paw does convey a wary approach. Glad you got to see one of these.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Really amazes me how many wild creatures you encountered during your Kruger trip! Nice to have this fellow walk towards you and there's such a lovely inquisitive expression on his face:)

I like the BG and colours overall, higher SS would have given you more fine detail on this cute little face and yes more DoF would have been great. Nice POV, I just feel a tad more space is needed at the bottom.

Interesting how Blackbacked Jackals always snoop around looking as if they have some important business or a plan of action I believe your frame depicts a typical example of the species' behaviour, well seen and captured, TFS!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea