Thank You Posts

Default Chacma Baboon

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon Canon 100-400 L IS II ISO 1600, 1/1600 f7.1
    ACR + PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a nice arresting image and personally, I like the amount of space you have afforded to give, for me it's nicely framed.

I might look at the WB, it appears a bit cool and with some blue, check the face, I feel it needs to go more warmer and reduce the blue helps???? Techs look good with some nice sharp detail where it needs to be. I like that it is partially off set and the body angled, good positioning. I think you can get some more tone and detail from the face and with some carful adjustments get some colour back into the fur, it just looks a bit flat, varying the fur gives it some nice almost 3D qualities. Also, perhaps just tweaking the FG layers the image to me, but these are just some thoughts.

I really like this Jon.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Not an easy shot to get as the baboons don't often sit still and pose. Definitely a green season image. It will be interesting to see how brown it has become when I am there shortly. The nursing pose and the relaxed state of mom are nice. I too like the comp and negative space. My first thought was similar to Steve's a little cool and a little flat. Steve has made good suggestions for tweaking it to take it up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the look on the baboon looks very serious. Really like all the green here. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice frame!Lovely behavior depicted.
    I like your comp and could also see a 4 x 6 version.
    Good details on the baboon.
    My eye moved immediately to the 4 "circles" just above the head on the right as soon as I opened the thumbnail.
    If mine, I would evict them or burn them a bit to lessen the impact.
    The image is a bit cool but perhaps this represents light conditions as they were- I am thinking a cloud covered the sun briefly?
    Gail

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did play around with the composition, couldn't quite decide what was optimal. The tips regarding processing will be absorbed, I did some of them, from what I remember I found the colour balance a little tricky, there was a lot of green reflected light skewing the pic. I normally remember to remove the blues but I bet I didn't in this case!
    Here is a repost.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-04-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your repost is better and having removed that single grass stem made a difference. Though it is not a big deal really TBH.
    Lovely low angle, and the baby adds tons to the appeal.
    We will be looking for these guys out near the Cape in SW South Africa soon. :) I think it's the same kind of baboon from what I've read.