Thread: Brown Bear Portrait

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown Bear Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would start us off for June's Theme of Predators with another brown bear image from last June. I head out in a few days for South Africa so hopefully will come back with a wider range of wildlife and get to see some of the same cats that I have photographed on other trips. We saw this bear only once or twice during the 6 days. She was fairly big and very blonde but with no cubs yet. One of the few times there wasn't bright sunshine. She was mostly on the move but sat for a few seconds to check us out. I wanted a somewhat tighter portrait with the eye contact.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/3000
    f5.6
    ISO 1600
    HH, cropped for comp to about 70-75% of ff, TK luminosity masks, curves, selective burning and dodging, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel I have enjoyed your series of Bear pictures,in my opinion this is the best,lovely soft fur and good detail and that doleful look with a mouth full of grass is icing on the cake ,lovely job.

Keith.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, nice detail & the DoF works perfectly. Personally I think a bit of saturation or some tweaking of the overall colours might help, as it appears a bit 'flat', but personally tastes. Sadly I really don't like the crop, too big in frame, very little below. Zooming out more and giving her space to breathe and off set I feel would be better, or put the 300 & the 2x and go for a really nice facial shot, with detail & texture. She seemed to be very relaxed and therefore in no hurry to move, so I think you had time to experiment once you got the shots you wanted in the bag.

Have a safe trip, and I'm sure Lance will help you whilst you are out there. I'll try and drop you a line shortly, but I go out at the end of the month too, so it will be interesting times. Not planned, just someone made me an offer I could not refuse and do some work too.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Really nice details and a lovely eye contact as well. Also i liked the grass sticking out of its mouth because of that appears as a cute predator . I too would have liked some room at the bottom of the frame. Looks a bit flat as well .

Wish you a safe journey and wonderful sightings .

TFS !

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The diffused light lets some nice detail on the bear. The pose is nice as well. Looks as if i will be eating grass forever is what the bear is thinking i imagine.

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at adding a bit more punch. Sadly Steve, she didn't sit for long. No more room below.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Rachel first up have the best trip and all the luck in the world.

Lovely detail as ever Rachel,I'm also not a big fan of the crop,I might have tried portrait if I'm honest and crpped from there is big mumma wasn't too wide that is.

The mouthfull of grass works for me,i'm sure you have shown her before actually,love her colour!!

TFS

Stu

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the eye contact, and the mouthful. Great detail. I don't mind the tight crop except at the bottom for her to sit in, but alas you don't have any more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

At first, I also thought more room. But I don't mind. Although, a much tighter portrait would probably be even stronger as an image?
    For my tastes too, it could be a bit more punchy with colours and contrast too. But still works just as well as is.
    TFS and have an awesome Africa trip! :)