Thread: Male Yellow Warbler.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Yellow Warbler.

Attached Images Attached Images

Setup perch, audio used, and photographed in my car as a blind...in other words, pretty much the total opposite of what Isaac went through to photograph his recent warblers!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, full-frame image, a couple of imperfections cloned out on the leaves, NR to the BG.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That made me laugh Dan! Pretty good for that shutter speed. I don't know how you manage to get sharp photos at such low speeds. Funny I got a Yellow Warbler shot recently that I will get around to posting. However you did it the bird is placed nicely on the branch Only thing I would do is up the exposure a little.

3. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for providing information about how you got the shot. I really like the composition. I won't change anything.

Interested in learning whether you will go for fill flash for such situation or use such low shutter speeds. I would have opted for fill flash

Thanks for Sharing.

5. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel. Cool looking bird! Exposure works for me as does the composition. Could you please explain "audio used"? Cheers.

7. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beauty here, Dan. Love everything about it including the counter-posed leaves at each diagonal (almost), beautiful background and breathtaking bird. Those tones and colours are wonderful. As for low SS, in my experience, it is simply a risk and mainly of the bird moving. Stabilisers are so good now it's possible to get away with this. My strategy is to takes lots of frames. The bird will be motionless in at least some (usually). Well done all the same.

9. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a bunch guys!

Paul, this means I used "playback", meaning there was a speaker just below the frame playing this species' call. This got the warbler to come in to investigate and hold the pose for a few moments. I wrote an article about it some years ago, including ethical considerations, here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...rds-The-Basics

To note: it is a bit outdated as far as equipment used. I now use an ipod and bluetooth (wireless) speaker, but the rest remain the same.

11. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, composition perfect IMO. Techs good as always. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, composition and subtle lighting. The feather detail looks great and the yellows vibrant without looking cooked. A pleasing image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel. That's what I thought. I have the Michael Morcombe app on my android phone...and it is bluetoothed to a small speaker. I don't often use the speaker but find the audio quite helpful to attract the bird, or at least help me to identify a call. I have heard both sides of the "to do/not to do" debate...but tend to only use it sparingly. Thank you for the link. Cheers.

15. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post