Thread: Scrub hare

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Scrub hare

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken from car, in Kruger park, as you see the name is apt, rather untidy surroundings!
    Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 5000, 1/1600 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC (NR to background)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, appears you are moving this particular encounter up a gear with each posting, nice one. I would perhaps back off on the Blacks, it has a slight 'heaviness' to it and although not indicating it's clipped the finer fur would benefit I think. Again, dropping the blue say -75 (amount optional) cleans the branches nicely, but that might not be reflective? Have you considered a 10x8 putting the subject more to the right and being less central?

TFS
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 05-11-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan : I liked the pose and the subject itself. My first thought on seeing the image that it looked a bit heavy in blacks and slightly lacking the finer details in the fur. I too can see some blue creeping in , but a easy fix for you.

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Is this a different image than this one that you posted a couple of weeks ago? http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...423-Scrub-hare

I prefer the softer look and tones of the one previously posted.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Jon - Is this a different image than this one that you posted a couple of weeks ago? http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...423-Scrub-hare

I prefer the softer look and tones of the one previously posted.

TFS,
    Rachel
    You are right Rachel, it is the same image, I intended to post the next one in the series - my mistake! It doesn't really matter (from my POV that is) I got what I was after in terms of critique.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

Thank you so much for this, looks to me like an RP on the previous image posted. Won't repeat what has already been said but I think your PP work is even better here.

Let us see the next one in the series, please

On a more personal note, I was just pondering tonight... just how addicted I am to BPN. Been around for some years now and I still experience that same thrill when I share an image, wondering what you guys think of it and how can you help me improve it. Don't think this feeling will ever fade. My eyes seem to get weaker from all the PP work and from staring at the computer screen but it's a small price to pay. I see you too have been around for a while Jon, in fact for much longer than me - do you feel the same?

A big thank you for sharing your images with us, as well as for your feedback and RP's

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, my thoughts are similar to yours, I submit images that I think sometime are "just right", sometimes i submit images that I do not personally think are yet nevertheless do have some merit and I am keen to gauge the opinion of others. For some unknown reason I find images taken in other countries prove to be often problematical. This I think is due to a variety of reasons not least of which is I just want to get posted and receive feedback. The result is that I sometimes am told things that are pretty self evident in retrospect, I always find it difficult to sit on images and reflect. I suppose I have learned a few things along the way but what I have not learned is how to contain my enthusiasm for posting (too quickly that is!). In all honesty I don't think my processing skills are very much better than they were perhaps eight or nine years ago, what I need to do is it back and reflect before I post. Hey what it is to be young! Well 67 years young!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for your kind reply dear Jon.

I think the main issue with most of us might be rushing to post - one usually sees things much better a day or two after processing and especially colour casts. Also composition and proportion. I sometimes walk around my study after processing an image and stare at it as if it were a painting:)

Regarding capturing images in another country, there are probably many reasons for difficulties encountered - like having to deal with a new environment or understanding animal behaviour. Let us not forget equipment: one often does not have all the luxuries one has at home, tripods and camera supports etc. Add some excitement and distractions (e.g.. other people present) and things can get rather difficult...

Nevertheless, we learn all the time and have lots of fun, which is all that matters
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This guy has some big ears. The pose is nice on the hare. I like the processing here. Looks good for the high ISO.

10. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,do think the eye and ears on this Hare are excellent with great detail,grooming pose makes for a very interesting image ,not sure if high iso would do this our me being totally wrong but I do think the texture of the fur does look a little harsh if you understand what I am saying,and there again I do have this thing about the softness of fur and feathers, and do hope you understand my thoughts.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That’s fine Keith I was just trying to gauge reaction to the processing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great Jon sometimes not the best at trying to explain my thoughts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great image in its habitat Jon. I love it! That hare just pops out of the BG.
    Well done mate!
    TFS