Thread: Cape May Warbler

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape May Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

A cape may warbler; 1/1000 sec, f9, ISO 1600, Aperture Priority, pattern metering, 800mm 7DII.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These are such pretty birds. I miss them from my time on the east coast. You've captured his color nicely, but I've got a couple of suggestions. First, he's too
    tight in the frame. He needs some breathing room. And he need to be moved down so that he's better centered in the frame. Second, the image is
    really noisy and that comes from two places. First, shooting at f/9 really hurts you. What lens are you using? The 800/5.6? If yes, you should be at f/5.6 for
    shots like this. Maybe you were trying to keep the branches in focus as well, but there are so many of them you're going uphill on that front anyway. Dropping
    to f/5.6 would have put you at ISO 640 which would have really helped the noise. Second, cropping in so tight always makes noise worse, so loosening
    the crop will help on that front as well.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, I did adjust my settings when he moved...here's another with a touch more space. Perhaps this is a bit better? This is f5.6, and ISO is 640...

Name:  a cape may forum.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  321.0 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Noise certainly looks better, and there are fewer distracting branches which is good. But he's squashed into that top-right quarter. I'd move him down and left.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the second image is much more pleasing to the eye. Still a bit tight, and tucked into a corner as Dorian mentions. Also the fine detail is not as it could. Perhaps still a large crop?