Thread: Eurasian Jay - ISO 12,800

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eurasian Jay - ISO 12,800

Attached Images Attached Images

Still from Norway, but a break from the WT Sea eagles - the Eurasian Jay.

Towards the end of the week a couple of us drove to a forest close by to see what we could see/find, but knew someone had been feeding these birds. After a small walk through the glades forest we found three Jays flying around, constantly looking into this old tree hollow.

Light was of a premium, with ISO varying from one extreme to the other, but lets go higher.

Thanks to those who viewed or especially commented on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/5.6 ISO12,800
    Original format: Portrait, FF on width, cropped from top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great for the high ISO. Looks a little tight on the bottom. I could see the bird up higher in the frame. Cool looking bird i have never seen one. Is there any noise reduction done here?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look decent for such an extreme ISO. Gnarly tree is cool but does compete a bit with the bird positioned against it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great for the high ISO. Looks a little tight on the bottom. I could see the bird up higher in the frame. Cool looking bird i have never seen one. Is there any noise reduction done here?
    Thanks John, to be honest it's more of a 'record' shot than anything else. Agree on the framing but I wanted the FP bang on the head for sharpness. Also to show shooting at these high ISO's isn't an issue and that you either get an image or not. With bodies like the 1DX (I &II) & MKIV they are designed to do the job and amounts like ISO2500, 3200 are not at ALL high, you just have to have confidence to know the camera will do it's job. Yes, there is some NR applied.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 05-07-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dorian, but I'm OK with it, but perhaps bit more off the top?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, super pose, and certainly great IQ for such a high ISO. I like how the tail follows the line of the bark on the lower end of the tree. The finer plumage detail shows up nicely, and the colours look good too. Good choice in shooting portrait to suit the pose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet IQ for such a high ISO. Even though the perch is big I like it and it adds character. Bird looks good with a good pose. Crop works for me. TFS

PS : I'll likely be at Bempton cliffs June 10 and the am of the 11th before giving the Farne Islands another go June 12-14

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, super pose, and certainly great IQ for such a high ISO.
    Hi Stu, I probably tackle things a bit differently to most, but when you see the amount of Contrast that goes into a Canon file compared to a Nikon you start to realise editing the files needs a little work beforehand, but just my query way I guess.

cheers
    steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PS : I'll likely be at Bempton cliffs June 10 and the am of the 11th before giving the Farne Islands another go June 12-14
    Hi Alex, OK will check diaries as Bempton subject to weather could work, but being a weekend it will be very busy, but could leave early. Will check to see if John Ashton may like a trip out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. Very nice image quality for such a high ISO; I'm curious what your NR workflow consists of. I'm also interested to know why you went with such a high ISO when you were able to get 1/1000 shutter speed with available light. Having said that, it's always nice to see photographers pushing the limits of their gear rather than packing up and going home once they have to go higher than ISO 800.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doug, very much appreciate you passing by and hope you are enjoying the 'tropical' weather we are experiencing in the UK at present.

Firstly, and for a long time I much prefer shooting at 1/1600-2000 SS, but always mindful of the situation. I was always cautious of higher ISO's in the early days, but now I don't give it a second glance. I have no hesitation with the ISO of the 1DX MKII and trust it implicitly because to a certain extent I can deal with things in LR, so that is my first port of call. Jays move around erratically as I'm sure you have the equivalent back home and are notoriously skittish, so a faster SS I felt was appropriate, plus light as I said was of a premium, another frame a few minutes later the ISO dropped.

I'm curious what your NR workflow consists of
    Mainly within LR and controlling Contrast.

Having said that, it's always nice to see photographers pushing the limits of their gear rather than packing up and going home once they have to go higher than ISO 800.
    Certainly some of the folk over the years in Wildlife have finally taken this on board, but here in the UK light is not always in abundance and so pushing the ISO becomes part of the whole set-up. These cameras are designed to nail images and as I have always stated, I prefer a hint of noise in an image than a soft image that no matter what software or sharpening will resolve. If I can shoot low ISO high SS then bring it on every time, to me it makes sense and avoids any shake too. Folk have to trust their kit, but so many have the kit and are reluctant to push their kit, but you also need to understand the files from Canon and how to deal with them. Nikon has very little Contrast, Canon has truck loads, but that's just my take.

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Alex, OK will check diaries as Bempton subject to weather could work, but being a weekend it will be very busy, but could leave early. Will check to see if John Ashton may like a trip out.
    Sounds great! No worries if you guys can't make it as it's relatively short notice, Best,