Thread: The 'Trophy' Hunter

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The 'Trophy' Hunter

Attached Images Attached Images

Normally I don't like to stray into other camp areas, but there had been a three brother Cheetah sighting and we politely ask if we could move into their 'property' in the hope of seeing these guys as no one was actually looking or had found them. The two camps had an verbal understanding, however a few days later it was a 'no go' policy, but not through our doing I might add. As we patrolled the area we found a small pride of Lions who were looking for shade to sleep off the meal I guess, as this young cub 'tail end Charlie' decided to carry the last 'trophy' parts of the meal.

The Cheetah brothers we found shortly after, about a mile away in the shade too, with a fresh Impala kill.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lion cub (Panthera leo) carrying an Impala leg
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO320
    Original format: Portrait, small crop from the top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2018

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a wonderful sighting Steve, love the way this youngster is carrying his trophy:)

Nice thinking on DoF, helps separate the subject from a relatively busy BG. Light must have been harsh but you exposed well, colours look good, sharpness too, great detail on the subject (especially face, nose, eyes) as well as...err...leg

There's a nice 3D feel to this image - did you applied any NR to the background?

Glad to see you make use of your 200-400 lens, I have just started using mine although it was purchased months ago. I sometimes wonder why I am so stuck to that 500

Thank you so much for sharing, a pleasure to view as always,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to see you make use of your 200-400 lens, I have just started using mine although it was purchased months ago. I sometimes wonder why I am so stuck to that 500
    Thanks Gabriela, yes often there is a dilemma - what to pack, what set-up, but the 500 will always be there. Have a nice night with 'The Hound'.

BTW I was still having to use AFMA here, a pain until I got back.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I pack everything Steve, my checklist is long

The "Hound" is sleeping by my feet and I feel so safe in his company - all doors and windows open tonight. Wondering what he is dreaming about...
    AFMA...ouch...But this is where the Master's skill comes through... there's always a plan B
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works for me, Steve. Wonderful color and detail. I wonder what will happen to the leg bone it appears all the meat is missing. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wonder what will happen to the leg bone it appears all the meat is missing.
    All consumed Joe, first in or you starve.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Sorry, a bit late here but this looks quite nice. I really like the bent paw and the leg in the mouth is a bonus. The cub has a determined look that none of his siblings should mess with him. Comp, dof and detail all work here.

TFS,
    Rachel