Thread: Tiger Jungle !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger Jungle !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone ,

Here is my contribution to this months theme.

I had some good portraits of the mother in this sighting but the cubs were pretty shy in her absence and hence it was needed to maintain some distance with them. This is a typical jungle feel here but what was interesting to see that the monkeys ( you can see them above ) were very aggressive towards the cubs and were continuously making noise and infact urinated on them and thrown twigs and leaves to make them go. But tigers are tigers and they were not bothered at all apart from throwing a few glances at them. The light was pretty tricky as you can see because it was filtering through the canopy and also there were tyre tracks , which i tried to clone out . Also i liked the presence of three tigers in one frame which is pretty difficult to get hence chose this frame when the third one entered the scene. Would have liked to have him looking at us but unfortunately that didnt quite happened. Tried to keep the colours as natural as possible considering the winter time as the forest is normally vibrant during that period .

All your comments and suggestions are most welcome .

DPP 4.5, CS6, levels, curves, selective colour , colour balance, cropped from the top and slightly from the bottom .

Canon 5D MK III, Canon 100-400mm IS II.

1/640 sec; f/5.6; ISO 5000.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hadn't noticed the monkeys on first look as the tigers drew my gaze immediately, so thanks for pointing them out. The lighting was quite tricky, as you point out. Not sure there's a lot you could do about it. Also agree the poses are not ideal. If mine, I'd be tempted to darken (selectively) much of the frame except around the tigers. I know you've probably cropped this to keep the monkey but think this could be quite good as a pano.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool to see three tigers in this scene. Like the road as the leading line. I also wouldn't have noticed the monkey with out you saying something.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would suggest that as presented the image is overexposed - too much brightness in the scene. I would really like to see something less bright, I reckon it would have far more impact.

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

Truly a special sighting and I took some time to view and take in this scene you captured First time I get to see "the whole picture", by this I mean the environment of the tiger.

Indeed a typical jungle feel to the scene, and the presence of the monkey adds to the story. I take it this is FF?

Agree with Jon above, a little overexposed, at the same time I realise lighting conditions were not ideal. Perhaps a tad too tight at the bottom? But I really like the overall feel here and tigers being so relaxed - what a magic moment this must have been!

Haseeb, in terms of processing I would try bring down exposure in the BG a tad further but would not worry so much about the very bright areas where detail is irrecoverable ( eg. vegetation behind tigers). When strong light penetrates the forest canopy I think it is normal for those leaves and grasses to glisten and reflect light. The more you try and fix those areas the more it shows, it ends up looking unnatural. I must admit I find it quite charming, this mix of light and shade

Really enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - I really like the overall scene and the sense of the environment it gives us. Yes, the tigers were uncooperative with their poses and the light was tricky but it's still a dynamic scene. I'm not sure I would have noticed the monkey without your intro either. I agree that the bg is overexposed. You can also try darkening the greens and lowering the sat of the yellows but it changes the mood.

TFS,
    Rachel

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I had reduced the exp of the BG slightly but i will implement your suggestions and will do a RP tonight based on the same . Will love to hear your thoughts on the same .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the RP, pls let me know WDYT ?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb it still looks over exposed to me

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Here is the RP, pls let me know WDYT ?
    Definitely an improvement Haseeb and fairly close to where I'd land with it.

17. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post