Thread: Overcast day Willet

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Overcast day Willet

Name:  hi-key-willet-2-june-2015-1600.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  529.3 KB

This is from a really overcast day at Fort Desoto a couple pf years ago, just before a big storm. Very little in the way of colour that morning, and apart from some rotation and the removal of a dark blob on the right edge, hardly anything done in PP to make the image into the high key shot it is. I did have another frame a few steps later where the birds was a little higher up and the front foot is visible, but the head angle is weaker, and I quite liked the dreamy feel here with the feet being below the sand bank

Canon 5d3
    500mm f4is
    ISO 1600
    1/640th f4

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the "walking on clouds" feel of this image. Good one for the theme this month.
    I wish the horizontal dark band at the bird's ankle was not quite so prominent. I would clone out the separate diagonal line on the right of previously mentioned dark area.
    I would then dodge the line itself.
    I like your comp but would prefer a sliver off the top.
    The IQ is excellent as always.
    The color of the feathers seem more reddish brown than what I am used to seeing.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect head angle and pose on the bird. Details are very nice. I agree that I wish the feet were visible. I would clone out the dark line in front of the bird but I like the darker bits at the edges as I feel they add dimension and balance each other out. Colors look fine for a molting bird with just a few traces of the warmer breeding feathers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Almost looks as though he is in snow, so you've achieve a nice effect here. I too really like to have at least one foot
    visible in shorebird images, but that's a more a matter of personal taste than anything else.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the 'floating' colours here Mike, they blend so well. This would look real good printed big on canvas.

Will