Thread: Snowy Owl, backlit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Owl, backlit

Attached Images Attached Images

Probably the last Snowy image from me for this year (unless I make another trip to the shore where the irruption has made them plentiful this year). This was taken looking toward the setting sun, which was just off to the left. There was a bit more color in the sky further left, but when I moved right to get the more colorful sky the bird was blocked by vegetation.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 2000, 1/1000s @ f/8 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is cool Bill. My favorite of the 3 you have posted. I think the touch of snow and the back lighting look great. And I love the silhouetted effect on the grasses. Enough eye contact to really grab attention. My only wish is that I could see more of the scenery here. Think I would prefer a version that is less cropped. There are just so many images out there of these owls that it is hard to find one that is unique. I think you did a great job on this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've enjoyed all three of your owl posts. Of the 3 I like the openness and wind-blown nature of the second. For me, the backlighting somehow "dims down" the bird itself but it's a beautiful shot nonetheless. How cold was it there when doing this shooting? - Joel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill I do like this Owl in the grass it makes for a lovely natural picture,everything looks so clean and sharp,very nice indeed.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Joel on this one! #2 is my favorite.
    I would crop a bit less. I like the 2 grasses that frame the face perfectly.
    very nice,
    gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments. BPN never lacks for differences of opinion. As to the crop, I forgot to mention that this is full-frame, zero crop.

ps. I also like the second one best.