Thread: Young 'Bucks' sparring

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young 'Bucks' sparring

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot at ground level from under the shade of a large Oak tree. Just quietly waiting with the wind in the right direction allowed these two to get close with some Fallow deer in the BKG grazing. These two would just clash then wonder off then clash again, but the main guy just kept an eye on them just in case they 'over stepped the mark' with the herd of females close by.
    Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Red Deer (Cervus elaphus) young bucks sparring during the rut
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII with 1.4MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop from the foot, FF width
    Processed via: LR Classic CC & PS CC2018

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool frame. Like the action here. I'm not sure about the deer in the background but there was probably not much you could do about it. The light looks nice.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - The action, sharpness and detail are all good but I'm not in love with the comp. I would have shifted the camera up to include the full back of the buck on the right and a bit more on top. You have plenty of room on the bottom to have done so. With it clipped, I think I would actually take some of the top to make it look more deliberate. I am undecided about the additional deer in the bg. They give it context and make the image a bit different but they also distract.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colours and details in the two bucks look absolutely perfect. The deer in the background are not ideal but that's life, we can't always have what we want. I think I would have been tempted to tone down the brightness of the pale legs in the deer in the background, not so much that it became obvious but just a bit to make them less conspicuous.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Happy christmas Steve have a good un cheers for all the thoughts and wisdoms bestowed

Steve colour detail processing dof stella !!!

Framing not so much, it needs to go upwards buddy too much at base not enough up top to clear those backs. Shame , I love the two red kids sparring with a fallow backdrop that's really cool I really like this aspect you have caught

Have a cracker Steve ,genuine cheers for all the help

stu