Thread: MacGillivray's Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default MacGillivray's Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I might have captured a lifer (for me) at Quinta Mazatlan in S. Texas, but I wasn't sure. One highly qualified birding guide in Texas looked at in on the back of the camera and confirmed my hopes, and another such birding guide looked at the image after I got home. Both felt is was a MacGillivray's, without any doubt. Several had been reported on eBird at other locations in the Lower Rio Grande Valley that week. Captured in very low light at the very end of the day. I had to remove one oof vine that crossed in front of the bird. Slight adjustments in Levels, and bit of Tonal Contrast.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 3200, 1/500s @ f/6.3 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like Warbler images like this. Show the bird nicely in its habitat. I do find the image a bit dark. Also this looks like an Orange crowned to me with that pale throats and short and pointy bill. Unless it's just the angle, I would think MacGillivrays should have a gray throats and a much larger and broader based bill. Should also have more yellow on the belly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac. Orange-crowned was, of course, the other possibility, which I suggested to the two experts. They both ruled it out. I should have noted that this is probably a female, maybe 1st year, in winter plumage, but you would have factored that in, I'm sure. I actually thought it was a closer call than they did. I agree the image may be a bit dark.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Based on only this pic I see orange crowned. hatch year female Mac can have a Pale throat but will always be hooded. Underparts on Mac should be uniformly yellow. But a single pic is often very misleading. I should've mentioned before but I really like that clump with the dry leaves as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice detail on the bird. The low light i'm sure didn't help. Lows good for the high ISO.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture, Bill. It truly is difficult sometimes with the variations of plumage at different stages of age, male and female, adult or juvenile, breeding or non, etc. Good detail and I like the quality of light.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu