Thread: Insubordination

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Insubordination

Attached Images Attached Images

A simple cheetah image taken in the Kalahari and processed some time ago for Emdoneni Lodge. The owners ordered twenty-four copies printed large on canvas, one for each guest room - I was truly delighted and honoured with their request. I also received my copy today

This frame was taken last February. I remember finding this cheetah wondering around and calling desperately for her cub one afternoon at about 15:00 pm. Not sure where the little one was hiding or what happened to him, I had seen them together only the day before. The sky was quite dark and I anticipated a rainstorm, was just grateful not to have to deal with strong shadows.

I really liked the space here. I also felt that the subject was not "lost" in its environment but rather stood out because of her lovely colours and patterns. Her young was perhaps only playing hide and seek, but in doing so he was causing her much distress. She was not concerned by my presence whatsoever and eventually walked right up to the vehicle. She was on higher ground on the side of the road and I felt like opening the door to let her have a close look - it was almost as if she wanted to peek inside to make sure I did not hold him hostage... A special moment I shall never forget so I am sharing it with you. Comments and critique welcome of course, many thanks for viewing.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 mm F4
    ISO 800
    F6.3
    1/2500s
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, this one is quite a shot, Gabriela. I love the high key look but with excellent tone and separation of the cheetah (would still love to see one in the wild myself). Your pano crop is very suited IMHO and position of the cheetah in the frame, while unorthodox, does work for me. First thing I wondered was whether the eye contact here was ideal. With the cat moving away from you, it was probably essential but I'd be interested to see compare with other frames where the head angle was different to this, even if purely an academic exercise to confirm that what you have shown here is the best. Brilliant work. Wish it was mine.

3. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Congrats on the sale to the lodge. I like the high key treatment of the bg, the pano crop and the placement in frame. I agree with Glenn that with the cheetah moving away you needed the look back toward you and eye contact. My initial impression is that the cheetah has just a little too much contrast given the high key treatment of the bg. Still a frame that I would be happy to have in my files.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, it seems a long time ago that this went into production, however I'm very pleased for you and I'm sure the owners were also please to receive their copies and hopefully inspirational to those who stay.

I like the choice of format & position in frame, and I think it could work with the HA as is or looking forward. The light environment works well and separates the subject well. The colour and lightness conveys that heat and windswept savannah.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love your image... simple and wonderful. The composition allows the eye's to wander always coming back to the Cheetah. Thank you for sharing, Gabriela.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela a killer image for me !!!!!!!
    Very well seen and executed . I do like the whispy grass and the softness in the FG and BG , isolating the cheetah so nicely .
    Color and tones looking about perfect for me .
    Congrats that this frame became sold to the lodge with that good number of copies and more important a lot more people will see your work , you might sell some more .

Love this frame , brilliant work .

TFS Andreas

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Gabriela -- This is one of your finest as far as i remember . Superbly composed and a real canvas material. Loved the placement of the subject in the frame and the soft tones and colours of the savanna . I am a big fan of such minimalist images, enjoyed this one immensely . TFS !

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear friends

I have a number of images from this sighting and I plan to share them with you over time. It would be great to hear your thoughts, in this case I pondered for quite some time before choosing this particular one, I was unsure which pose (or HA from cheetah) worked best. Good news is Emdoneni owners have just built a spa and now requite large prints of cheetah in vertical format. Wondering whether I should wait till February when I go back to the Kalahari or work on those frames I already have... Quite exciting really, at some point I felt I was losing my "lust" for photography but I guess all due to lack of time and a bit of work related stress. So hopefully 2018 brings good things... For now, I just spoke to Father Xmas ( or shall I call him Father Nikon ) and asked nicely for a D850

Hope you all have a happy evening and a great rest of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea